Sony TRV-102 firewire connectivity

Stephanie Koles

Enthusiast
Has anyone used this model camcorder successfully with a IEEE-1394 interface ? I bought a 4 to 6 pin cable at a computer show recently and loaded a copy of Ulead VideoStudio 5. Im not sure if the camcorder is the issue, or the cable or the interface or perhaps having the wrong driver.

The software is not detecting the camcorder.....Just thought Id throw this out and see if anyone has any advice or suggestions....

I had a similar problem with my mini DV camcorder, though not a Sony. My problem turned out to be the Firewire card itself. Although it would detect connectivity to the camera it would not allow me to access it. I wound up just getting a Belkin Firewire card and that solved everything. Have you tried the camera and cable one another computer?

Most of the TRV cameras should have no issues with the connection.. I'd suggest one of a couple things...

1. Check the firewire on your camera... my port got screwed up with my camera and was unable to be detected on any of my computers. The camera itself worked fine, though (which I kept because of that), but just the port was screwed up.

2. Check it with another wire (that happens, too).

3. Check it with another computer. If its not working on multiple computers, its probably safe to assume its something with your camera.

4. Check with other software (that sometims helps, too).

5. Check the computer connector... doing all these, you'll probably be able to easily identify the culprit and hopefully come to an inexpensive solution. I hope its not the camera, though, but if it is, considering purchasing a new camera and hanging on to the 102. If you get the same format on a second camera, you could theoretically film with one while capturing from another!

Ciao!

Laubach did a good job of making a list of troubleshooting solution finders... I would say maybe software.. sometimes a firewire card will have compatability issues with some software programs..

Im on it

Most of the TRV cameras should have no issues with the connection.. I'd suggest one of a couple things...

1. Check the firewire on your camera... my port got screwed up with my camera and was unable to be detected on any of my computers. The camera itself worked fine, though (which I kept because of that), but just the port was screwed up.

2. Check it with another wire (that happens, too).

3. Check it with another computer. If its not working on multiple computers, its probably safe to assume its something with your camera.

4. Check with other software (that sometims helps, too).

5. Check the computer connector... doing all these, you'll probably be able to easily identify the culprit and hopefully come to an inexpensive solution. I hope its not the camera, though, but if it is, considering purchasing a new camera and hanging on to the 102. If you get the same format on a second camera, you could theoretically film with one while capturing from another!

Ciao!

Thanks for the suggestions....Ill have to find someone that has a working firewire connection on their pc to determine whether it is my camera or my pc...

If they were taking bets in Vegas.. I would put my money down that its a hardware/software conflict and not a camera issue.. Unless of course you wore it out.. which doesnt sound so, as we are just now learning to download..

2 IEEE 1394 ports

Well,

I have found that I had 2 1394 ports on my PC. One on the front of the PC on the Audigy 2 card interface which did not work. The 1394 interface on the motherboard in the back of the PC works fine. I guess I have to figure out how to disable the rear one to make the one on the Audigy card work instead. Any ideas ???

Re: 2 IEEE 1394 ports

Originally posted by Stephanie Koles
Well,

I have found that that I had 2 1394 ports on my PC. One on the front of the PC on the Audigy 2 card interface which did not work. The 1394 interface on the motherboard in the back of the PC works fine. I guess I have to figure out how to disable the rear one to make the one on the Audigy card work instead. Any ideas ???

I have never been able to get one of those firewire ports on the Audigy cards to work. Did some reading and others have had similar experiences. Wonder whats up with that? Both your ports should be able to work together. I don't think the working one is causing the Audigy one not to work, I honestly think it's an Audigy issue from what I have read and past experience.

Back