Software Question: GR2Analyst Vs GRlevel 3. Also a weather climate toolkit question

C Emery

Enthusiast
So I just can't bring my self to conclude which one I want. I prefer the ability to have level 2 radar data, as it's more raw and the volumetric feature is quite amazing. But I'm unsure if there's any key differences that would make 3 better than 2.

Is there anything in gr level 3, that makes it worth over 2?

Could I still view level 3 data in grlevel2 analyst aswell. as I noticed there's Correlation coefficient products.

Do they both offer the same sort of customizability?

My second question is;

I also decided to download Weather Climatetoolkit to compile archival radar animations. I posted this question on the /r/weather community on reddit but found no answer. Is there anyway to get warnings to overlay onto the map from the same feed GRlevel(x) uses?

Excuse any brevity I just got back from an intercept late night.

Thanks,

C. Emery

I'm no expert on it, but I've been using GRL3 since 2008. Based on what I was told way back in 2008, and somebody correct me if this is wrong, GRL2 requires much more bandwidth than GRL3. This is not an issue for most people sitting at home, but even if you have generally good data availability on the road, once you get into a chase situation with 800 other chasers nearby accessing the same tower you might wish you could get updates faster and more reliably. Unless I'm wrong, and maybe I am.

Hi,

Bob is correct on the amount of bandwidth with GR2AE vs GR3. Someone correct me on this, GR2AE uses like 10x times the bandwidth of GR3, due to GR3's processing the data vs. the raw GR2 data. With GR3 or Radarscope, one is hard pressed to go wrong with either product, especially with the Doppler having the ability to scan every 90-120 seconds when needed during severe weather.

Hi,

Thank you both for the replies!

I'm thinking of getting GR3 first for the road, getting GR2A later on for analyzing @ home.

In regards about being up to date, which one would have the freshest radar data? Would GR3 be better in this case?

Thank you once again,

Chase

There's probably no difference, but again someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think I've heard anecdotes that the data can be late/sporadic on occasion when using the free NWS feed, while Allisonhouse ($15/mo.) might be more timely.

Back