Snowfall Mecca

M Conder

EF0
Here's this (1/31) mornings NWS point forecast for Mt. Hood...
----------------------------------------------------
For: Mt Hood .
Created: January 31, 2006 08:26:36 PST

Today: Snow. Snow accumulation 7 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. South wind 16 mph. High 15.

Tonight: Snow. Snow accumulation 30 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. South wind 26 mph. Low 14.

Wednesday: Snow showers. Snow accumulation 6 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 70 percent. West wind 25 mph. High 20.

Wednesday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 5 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 70 percent. West wind 15 mph. Low 11.

Thursday: Snow showers. Snow accumulation 12 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 60 percent. Southwest wind 12 mph. High 21.
-----------------------------------------------------

Being stuck in dusty ol' Lubbock I can only dream of this much (well, more accurately - any) snow. 5 feet (possible) in 3 days aint a bad haul!

I remember driving by Mt. Hood in early August about 15 years ago, and it had snow on the peak of it even at that time. I was only a kid so I thought that was pretty neat.

It can make for some awesome pictures in the summer depending on visibility of course.

The volcanoes in the NW are awesome. There's nothing like a clear day in Seattle or Portland looking 100 miles away to the glaciated peaks of Rainier and Hood.

Of course, those mountains hold the record seasonal snowfalls. Paradise Lodge on Mount Rainier was beat in the late 90's by Mount Baker. Over 1,100 inches.

Back