• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

SN SN Windows client: Use Windows Location Services instead of COM port

Steven Heicher

Enthusiast
I'm suggesting this because COM ports are depreciated in Windows 8 onwards, and to successfully use the client (or GR software for that matter), we need to install GPSGate to create virtual COM ports off of Windows Location API. I have already made the suggestion to Mike Gibson @ GR (personally), and using Windows Location Services eliminates the need to have GPSGate.

I am not sure COM ports were deprecated in Windows 8. Do you have a link to where Microsoft said that? They still work fine in Windows 10 as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, not necessarily a bad idea to add Windows Location Service support, but, not at the expense of what already works.

From what I read online, the COM ports are still there, just hidden. You have to select the option to unhide hidden devices.

I forgot to note, I use a globalsat usb gps pick on Win 10 and GR detects it as a COM port just fine. No GPSGate needed. I agrre8than Windows Location Services support would be nice.

From what I am reading, Windows now hides inactive COM ports (unless, as Randy said, you choose to unhide them) ... if they are active, they are not hidden. I have found nothing saying they are deprecated.

From what I am reading, Windows now hides inactive COM ports (unless, as Randy said, you choose to unhide them) ... if they are active, they are not hidden. I have found nothing saying they are deprecated.

Hiding them isn't the issue. It's the fact that we now have Windows Location Services, and if you have multiple apps needing location, you don't need a splitter with Windows Location Services, unlike legacy COM ports.

I forgot to note, I use a globalsat usb gps pick on Win 10 and GR detects it as a COM port just fine. No GPSGate needed. I agrre8than Windows Location Services support would be nice.

I have to use the latest GPSGate that talks to Windows location services to create the virtual COM ports right now. Windows Location Services is far superior to talking to legacy COM ports directly.

I am not sure COM ports were deprecated in Windows 8. Do you have a link to where Microsoft said that? They still work fine in Windows 10 as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, not necessarily a bad idea to add Windows Location Service support, but, not at the expense of what already works.

Windows Location Services works great, and it's designed to work with multiple programs, where with the old way, if you wanted to use Spotter Network, a map program, and GR, you needed GPSGate to split the COM port. It's one less app to worry about, and you can also control what software can access location. It's also, quite literally, plug and play, where you're having to mess with GPSGate settings as well as COM port settings in the individual apps.

Back