SKYWARN

I signed up for storm spotter through skywarn and they said we would get id's.. does anyone know when they should arrive?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spotter IDs depend on the WFO. Some WFOs don't issue them at all. I've had the same ID since I trained when I was a teenager but my ID is global for the county I live in meaning everyone in my county shares the same ID number. They also quit giving ID cards out for my area after a while. I still have my original card though as I laminated it when I got it. It is old and has been washed a few times haha.

In most cases, when calling in a report, you will just need to give your name if that. I've never once been asked for my spotter ID.

Spotter IDs depend on the WFO. Some WFOs don't issue them at all. I've had the same ID since I trained when I was a teenager but my ID is global for the county I live in meaning everyone in my county shares the same ID number. They also quit giving ID cards out for my area after a while. I still have my original card though as I laminated it when I got it. It is old and has been washed a few times haha.

In most cases, when calling in a report, you will just need to give your name if that. I've never once been asked for my spotter ID.
Ours does give you an individual ID number, but does not issue cards. I've never called in a report by phone - I usually submit reports over SN or the ham net, but I do have that ID number and my cell listed in the "private" info on SN.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk.

CO issues ID numbers, but no official badging or anything. I've reported a few things and usually when I ask if they want my ID, they don't. Location is priority over WHO calls...not like you get points for reporting.

I think IDs were originally a plan for accountability and record keeping. But I think the organized expanded quickly and that idea went out the window. I don't really know if custom spotter IDs would work nowadays or not with so many people involved and at different levels of involvement.

Many WFOs still give out and require IDs. I don't know of any that still give out id cards.

If your WFO said you would get an id, you will, but it could be months. My local WFO will not be giving out new IDs until the end of June. They are just keeping a list of all new spotters for now.

The Skywarn program at my local WFO is run by one person. He's busy conducting classes right now, then he'll be busy forecasting during the storm season. After that, he'll have time to issue new IDs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Stormtrack mobile app

Back