Scary Pictures? Make yours freaky!

As to the original question (why did they look scarier), there is a starkness to a high contrast black & white image (as compared to a color image) but I think the biggest difference between then/now is the film speeds (ISOs) and thus the shutter speeds necessary (particularly for the REALLY old-time ones).

Just as a long shutter speed on a waterfall will cause the water to blend (rather than FREEZE), the slower shutter speeds necessary in days-gone-by result in tornadoes and debris that are blurred during the exposure (not frozen by it). This implies a motion (to our eyes) that freezing an image does not. More than any single factor, I think THAT is what makes them "scarier". This not just blur. It is motion-blur.

My two cents.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

20040510_Scary.jpg

May 10, 2004 Limon, CO

Flint, MI F5 June 8th 1953 :blink: :huh:

flintMI-LOL.jpg

[/b]

Nick, is that really the Flint-Beecher tornado? Where on earth did you dig it up? What a find! I thought there were no known photographs of that tornado. The closest to actual storm photos that I've ever seen have been a couple of old color photos showing the parent thunderhead at dusk.

Nick, is that really the Flint-Beecher tornado? Where on earth did you dig it up? What a find! I thought there were no known photographs of that tornado. The closest to actual storm photos that I've ever seen have been a couple of old color photos showing the parent thunderhead at dusk.
[/b]

LOL Bob thats actually from June 9th, 2005

[/b]

Nope... http://midwestchase.com/6-9-05-10.jpg

The tornado near Erie, Michigan was photographed (F4, probably F0 or F1 by todays standards):

erie.jpg

Oops, looks like the Hulster beat me to it.

LOL Bob thats actually from June 9th, 2005
[/b]

Dooooooh, maaaaan!!! Boy, did I walk into that one. I thought the terrain looked more Great Plains than Great Lakes. <_<

Guess the photo of the Erie tornado that rdewey posted is still the only one from that day. It wasn't the same storm, but it sure is a formidable-looking thing--perfect for this thread.

Brian, is that the tornado that hit Franklin KS or is that up by KC? If it is do you have the origional you could post? My best friends house was destroyed by that monster.
[/b]

Joey, As im sure you have seen things in this sport you will never forget, allow me to answer for Brian... That is the Jamestown Wedge.. im 99% sure.. May 29th 2004

Joey, As im sure you have seen things in this sport you will never forget, allow me to answer for Brian... That is the Jamestown Wedge.. im 99% sure.. May 29th 2004
[/b]

Nope...Joey Ketcham is right!! It was the May 4, 2003 F4 as it was moving towards Liberal MO...this would have been when it passed south of Mulberry KS near the stateline. I did witness that one near Jamestown KS as well though...I'll post a b/w of that one as well soon.

Back