Satellite Internet Discussion thread

When is satellite internet while moving going to be available to the general public? And how much?

I know the "hardcore" chaser folks and the tour companies will be all over that...assuming the price isn't insane.

From what I recall, there are mobile in-motion satellite TV services, but I don't know of any other in-motion mobile internet services. For most folks, the cost is prohibitive, but there are certainly times and situations where such a service is necessary!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the thread about the company that was coming out with the dish that was flat and was installed between the luggage rack of an SUV/Wagon. It was suppose to come out in late 2006 but I haven't heard anything about them lately. I think some folks posted some estimated monthly prices that were in the several hundred dollar range...which puts it in the 'insane' category ;)

I agree - this is going to be way out of the practical range for most if not all of the chase community. Even the most successful chaser businesswise is going to have a hard time finding the cash flow to cover and justify even the $4k option. If any chasers were to go for these systems, it would be a 100% luxury purchase.

I say that because WxWorx and/or cell internet already provide chasers with the basic data we need on the road. Sat internet would be great, but there is no way I can see anyone justifying the cost at this stage.

The two way satellite Internet/television is called the SpeedyRay3000 and is produced by RaySat. I had been following them until they finally announced a retail price of $7000 and change for the unit. I did visit their website about a month ago and they are advertising a new product that they are just calling the speedyray and they say it is "affordable in motion satellite TV but no mention of Internet.

By the way I say an SUV the other day with QWEST graphics on it and a SpeedyRay on the roof so I a certain that they are available now.

It appears I may have spoken too soon, it must have been a SpeedyRay 1000 that I saw. The following link seems to have current information on the status of the 3000 as well as prices and availability of the 1000.
http://www.countycom.com/raysat1.htm?gclid=CNzYreimzYgCFQ34SAodK1SGCw

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the 1000 have internet capability or just the 3000? I couldn't tell from the website. If the 1000 has internet ability does anyone have an actual quote from a vendor for monthly internet service?

Does the 1000 have internet capability or just the 3000? I couldn't tell from the website. If the 1000 has internet ability does anyone have an actual quote from a vendor for monthly internet service?

The 1000 is inbound TV only. The 3000 is two-way satellite. This is just a guess but it would make sense for them to use either the WildBlue or HughesNet Services. Why re-invent the wheel from a service standpoint? WildBlue packages are $50 and up per month, and Hughesnet are about the same. WB packages ramp up higher in speed than hughesnet, but you'd expect that from a newer company with newer birds in the sky. They also are less latent than HughesNet. As DirectTV is now out of the data business after the News Corp purchase, I wonder how it'll all work out as they transition to their new birds...

Back to the data though, I'd be surprised if the data was more than a WildBlue subscription... It'll just be the $4-6k investment to get it. The current motion data setups out there use some of the slower speed birds like inmarsat which were never meant to be used for a lot of data, more just for short messaging while at sea. Much like MotoSat, I'd expect the RaySat dish to use an existing service for their data.

-John

Back