Rocky's Stormtrack Roundup

Well, I'm going to give this another try this season for us to finally get together and exchange tall tales of tracking the twisters and other assorted adventures. The projected dates are on Saturday's May 15, 22, 29 or June 5th. 1pm until whenever the last person leaves (which sometimes wasn't until the following day :D) This will be held at my farm near Piedmont, OK. I'm not sure on how I'll handle the food situation yet, maybe bring your own this time.

The date will be contingent on NO slight risk or more of svr wx ALONG WITH 2% or more probability of tornadoes anywhere south of I-70 in KS. north of I-20 in TX. west of the OK/AR. or MO. border and east of TX/NM border. If no date materializes in May, the June 5th date may be a go regardless of what's going on unless it's a moderate risk with enhanced likelihood of tornadoes within the aforementioned area.

Another thing that may cancel the picnic concerns my daughter Amber who is expecting her first baby by the end of the month.. 1 chance in 7 it could land on a Saturday. I can live with those odds. Other than that, hopefully we can muster up a good turnout this year being I didn't have much of one last year. Check back for more updates and directions. Let me know if you'll try to show up. It won't be complete without YOU being here.

All the best Rocky&family

Ok Rocky, as I've said before, I'd really love to come over and share stories and meet other chasers. I can make the May 22 and 29th but, the other days will be a no go for me because I have to work on those days. I'm going to try my best to be there this year!!!

EDIT: It's always great that you invite chasers into your home for a get-together. That speaks a lot about you sir!

Well, I'm going to give this another try this season for us to finally get together and exchange tall tales of tracking the twisters and other assorted adventures. The projected dates are on Saturday's May 15, 22, 29 or June 5th. 1pm until whenever the last person leaves (which sometimes wasn't until the following day :D) This will be held at my farm near Piedmont, OK. I'm not sure on how I'll handle the food situation yet, maybe bring your own this time.

The date will be contingent on NO slight risk or more of svr wx ALONG WITH 2% or more probability of tornadoes anywhere south of I-70 in KS. north of I-20 in TX. west of the OK/AR. or MO. border and east of TX/NM border. If no date materializes in May, the June 5th date may be a go regardless of what's going on unless it's a moderate risk with enhanced likelihood of tornadoes within the aforementioned area.

Another thing that may cancel the picnic concerns my daughter Amber who is expecting her first baby by the end of the month.. 1 chance in 7 it could land on a Saturday. I can live with those odds. Other than that, hopefully we can muster up a good turnout this year being I didn't have much of one last year. Check back for more updates and directions. Let me know if you'll try to show up. It won't be complete without YOU being here.

All the best Rocky&family

Hey Rocky, Jimmy, me and few others fly in to OKC from Sydney on the 21st, so it would be nice to catch up on the 22nd or thereafter should the 15th fall through -- (gosh, the last picnic being 2004).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to go this year, though May 15th would not be the best day for me as that'll be the day of the OU College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences' convocation (I'm not graduating, but I have friends who are).

Thanks for doing this, Rocky! :)

If models verify.. Sat. the 15th could verify for the chase picnic BUT, isn't there the OU graduation that day? Let me know, doors will be open all evening for those who can't come out right away.

Bridge and I are out for May 15, already have plans. All other dates would work for us.

May 15th date CANCELLED!!!

Due to the Day 3 having a slight risk in parts of NW TX. and several folks saying they couldn't show up due to previous plans, the May 15th date has been cancelled. The next possible date is the following Saturday May 22nd 1pm. As far as the weather is concerned, it looks as though based on the latest ensembles, we'll be going into an unusually quiet pattern by later next week. This date holds a good chance of coming to fruition. HOWEVER, my daughter Amber is expecting close to that date. Regardless of how that comes about, unless there are complications, which I do not anticipate, the picnic will go on but I may need to get to the hospital briefly to greet my new grandson if she should deliver that day. We'll see how that pans out. Keep checking back for more updates starting the middle of next week.

Rocky, Kath and I are heading out on the 18th, so the 22nd or 29th would work for us. The 22nd does look like it could possibly be a chase day though!

May 22nd date.. to be or not to be?

This Saturday May 22nd 1pm appears to be a "go" for the Stormtrack picnic. The only thing is several have said they are not showing up as they'll be chasing in South Dakota.. as of now, it looks like only a few may be here. The following weekend which is Memorial Day weekend, several said if the upcoming pattern remains unfavourable for severe weather, that they'll drop by. So.. I'm in a quandary in my decision about this. If I can get at least a few who may want to stop by.. the get together will be on. I'm also tantalizing the option of having a Stormtrack "open house" on the 29th as well for those who can't show up this weekend. However there is a caveat.

This year, it's bring your own food however I will also have some on hand. I have two grills and an oven. Just to make sure everyone doesn't bring the same thing, folks who's last names start with A thru M can bring hamburger or hot dogs.. N thru Z can bring chicken and pop. Bring a video to show off to everyone or at least just bring yourself. Feel free to bring anything else like snack foods, salads, etc.

My address is: 5504 Hall Road NW, Piedmont, Okla. you can use google maps and street finder or Mapquest to get you here, otherwise give me a call at 405-226-2996 or my home line: 405-373-5097 and I can give you directions.

So... I need some input on what to do.. I am leaning on having this anyway this weekend and I'll see how we fair on having a "part 2" the following weekend for any of the chase tours who are back in town or others who plan on chasing up north this weekend.

I'll make my final decision by 7pm Friday evening. Hope to hear from you and looking forward in having you all over.

Back