Road Construction, Detours, etc

Updating US 20 in NE Nebraska:

Same as posted by Jason, except construction now extends from O'Neill almost to Ainsworth, or about a 60 mile stretch. There are at least three stretches requiring a wait for a point car to lead a convoy through, and is definitely not recommended as a route for a chase in progress.

On the plus side: there is a bridge across the Missouri River at Vermillion! Apparently it's been there about two years and is a good argument for electric DeLorme instead of paper maps. Head south on HWY 19 west of town to connect with HWY 12 in Nebraska.

North Dakota:

I-29 through the City of Fargo - all exits, from 13th Ave South to 2 miles north of the 19th Ave North exit. 1 lane, each direction.

Construction continues until Fall.

I-94 from Cassleton to Tower City, 1 lane, each direction. Speeds reduced to 65mph. Construction continues until fall.

For those who are traveling through Arkansas or want to spot / chase storms:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/lanes/lanemap3.htm

US 64 east of Bald Knob (from Woodruff Co on east) is a good road with good stretches of 3 lane (passing lane). It's under construction often due to adding in stretches of the 3rd lane.

I-40 and I-30 have good stretches of road construction. See the map in the link for details.

Beware of Indiana and Chicago area construction!

Indiana:
Although construction is sporadic, heavy summer traffic flow on the state's interstates results in significant jams/backups whenever a lane closure is encountered. Some of these jams are the longest and slowest I have ever seen anywhere in the USA. Many are over 10 miles long, requiring 45 minutes to over an hour to get through. The worst backups I encountered are on I-65 and I-70 leading into Indianapolis. One section of I-74 is one-lane for over ten miles. I also witnessed many motorists pulled over for making u-turns on the highway by state police hiding at many of the median turnarounds.

Chicago metro:
Nearly all routes into and out of the Chicago metro currently have numerous major construction zones. Extremely long and slow jams/backups are common, some taking over an hour to get through only a few miles. Traffic is exceptionally bad during the day, but the jams last all night, including during off-peak early morning hours.

Recommendations:

If your drive to a target will take you through Indiana and/or the Chicago metro, be prepared for an extra one to two hours or more of travel time due to major backups. It may be beneficial to use rural two-lane roads and avoid the interstates altogether in many of these areas.

If you are closing in on a storm intercept in Indiana, absolutely avoid the interstates.

Highway 136 closed near Phelps City, MO which is between Missouri River and I-29 for bridge replacement. Local detour could cause up to 15 minutes additional travel time in either direction.

Reply to Ed Ballou re US283 south of WaKeeney, KS. I drove from there down to Ness City during the day on May 4 and had no construction delays.

The MO River bridge from NW Missouri into SE Nebraska is closed indefinitely...US Highway 136 between Rockport MO and Auburn NE. It has been closed for a while.

US50 North of Springfield, CO -- late May

One lane pilot car 10 mile construction zone, 30 min.+ delay both ways, US 50 between Springfield and Lamar, CO, Baca County north to Prowers County line. Looks like it'll be around awhile.

For those traveling the Interstates from a distance to reach chase-country, consider buying a CB radio to hear trucker reports about accidents and miles-long backups ahead. I bought a basic unit several years ago from Radio Shack ($100), that also cuts in with NOAA Weather Radio warnings and tunes the nearest station for info. I make several chase trips each year from Virginia, and it saves many hours to know what's ahead and then jump off on alternate roads to go around.

-- (Excuse my previous reply to Ed; didn't check his post date and assumed all entries here were current.)

If in IL: stay away from CHI metro or suburbs.

I 94 - total closure from I 57, north

I 294 from 95th street to 159th street - Lane widening, Very slow and backed up.

I 80/94 - always a problem, gotton alot better except going East into IN where the IN toll road is now being torn up......I have alternate routes that are much better, so if you are interested PM me, because I don't want to clutter up space with info nobody wants to hear.

FYI for chasers coming to SD tomorrow

For anyone coming to South Dakota tomorrow. I-29 and I-90 junction going west is closed due to construction, detour just south of the junction. Also construction in the Brookings area on US 14 is still on going. And some construction on I-29 north of Brookings.

Road construction near Columbus,Nebraska that utilizes hgwy 81 as a detour really takes you out of the way, so plan ahead if you are chasing out there this season.

Columbus Nebraska Road Construction

The MARKED detour route as you head east toward Columbus takes you up
through Genoa. WAY too far. Tell everyone that if they continue past the
detour signs and go north like normal heading into columbus and turn right
on 8th, they can go to about 27th and there is a way across town. This
will take 20 miles off.

I'd suggest printing a street map of Columbus and keeping it with your
atlas. The streets are numbered bothe Avenues and Streets. There is
actually the corner of 23rd and 23rd so it gets confusing but it is still
better than 20 miles of the wrong direction and no cell service!

Back