Review: Raynox 2.2X telephoto lens adapter (numerous images)

Dan Robinson

I received my Raynox 2.2X teleconverter in the mail on Saturday and had a chance to test-drive it today. This lens adapter is made for use with both digital still cameras and video cameras. My cost with shipping was $198 from SobeFoto out of Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Lens Size and Threads

The lens is rather large, a little bigger in diameter and length than a 12-ounce can of Coke:

coke1.jpg

coke2.jpg

The lens however is lightweight, and is not as heavy as it looks. It looks solidly built, and doesn't have that 'cheap' feel despite its light weight. The lens' primary thread is 62mm, with a secondary 37mm thread built in:

threads.jpg

Two adapter rings were included with the lens, a 52mm and a 58mm. The adapter rings are plastic and feel a little flimsy, but once on the cameras, they seem to hold firmly. I would be careful about overtightening though, as these rings may easily break.

The two adapter rings mean that I can use the lens on either my VX2100 or TRV900. Due to the lens' size, it turns the already large VX2100 into a beast:

vx1.jpg

vx3.jpg

The TRV900 looks rather comical with the lens installed on it, but it is still functional:

trv1.jpg

trv2.jpg

This is definately a tripod-only use lens, and probably not a lens you want to leave on the camera if you're not using it.

Zoom Range and Picture Quality

The Sony VX2100 and TRV900 both have a 12X maximum zoom length. The 2.2X converter increases their range to 26.4X.

Vignetting with this lens is its biggest downfall. When the lens is installed, the lower end of the zoom range on the camera is unusable. Vignetting starts to appear at and wider than about 75% zoom. Basically, the zoom lens' range picks up about where the camera's built-in maximum zoom leaves off.

Raynox 2.2X converter with camera zoom at full wide. As Bob Uecker would say, "*Just* a slight bit of vignetting".
vin.jpg

This is the zoom length where noticeable vignetting begins to appear:
vin2.jpg

For comparison, this is the VX2100's maximum zoom (12X) without the teleconverter:
i641.jpg

Picture quality is acceptable, though scrutiny will reveal some softening on the extreme edges of the image.

Sample Images

These images were taken on the Sony VX2100 from the Fort Hill overlook in downtown Charleston, West Virginia:

I-64: Full wide, without telephoto lens:
fullwide.jpg

I-64: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
i641.jpg

I-64: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
i642.jpg

I-77/64 interchange: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
i771.jpg

I-77/64 interchange: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
i772.jpg

Interstate signs: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
sn1.jpg

Interstate signs: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
sn2.jpg

MacCorkle Avenue: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
mc1.jpg

MacCorkle Avenue: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
mc2.jpg

I-64 streetlight: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
sl1.jpg

I-64 streetlight: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
sl2.jpg

State Capitol: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
cp1.jpg

State Capitol: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
cp2.jpg

Laidley Tower: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
ld1.jpg

Laidley Tower: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
ld2.jpg

BB&T Square: Full zoom, without telephoto lens:
bbt1.jpg

BB&T Square: Full zoom, with 2.2X telephoto lens:
bbt2.jpg

For comparison: Downtown skyline, full wide without telephoto lens:
fullwidecity.jpg

I am now awaiting a storm to test the lens' proficiency with lightning. I'll post the results if and when that happens!

EDIT:

I did some searching and found a lens called the CrystalVue LX, which is an 8X converter that runs about $200. It is essentially a spotting scope modified with camera lens mount threads. That would achieve a 96X zoom, which would be insane. For $200 I wouldn't expect great results, though. However, I've seen some web sites with sample images from the LX that seem to look fine. I'm going to try finding a camera store that carries them so I can test it out before buying it.

Back