REPORTS: 11/28/05 - Northern Plains Blizzard

Congrats to everyone who caught naders in KS . My warm sector target was Salina so I may have had an interesting day in KS too. I decided to "chase " the blizzard instead . It was an incredible event to experience and easy chase since my target was my windswept home in Curtis, NE. These 2 pics show that my chase vehicle is ready to go --nowhere --LOL
2005_Nov_28_Blizzard%20_1.jpg

Blizzard_28_Nov.jpg

next pic is aprox 7' drift south side of my windswept home--just looked out window and drift is now about touching bottom of DISH in pic!

Blizzard_28_Nov_2.jpg

Dean Cosgrove
http://windsweptchasetours.com

Very nice pics Dean and Mike! I would love to experience a blizzard, but I imagine that desire would wane after a while of being bitterly cold. Still cool to see snow fly at >50 mph, though. :D Good work!

Gabe

Great photos! And cool video, Mike. Actually its almost the same here, snow with strong wind...the difference is just that we rarely get more than 30cm of snow, but winds with gusts 100-120mph are the usual thing when it snows. Love those blizzards 8)

Originally posted by rdewey
Wow - Dean, Mike: Those are some awesome photos... And that video is pretty amazing. I guess it's sort of like a white hurricane... Too bad I never get to see anything like that :? :lol:

you should move to the west side of the state we see junk like that alot. Snow chasing HMMMMMMM. You can have it all, take it. take what I get here as well i dont want any of it.

Or, I could go up to one of the places we stay up north:

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST
SATURDAY...

EXPECT LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS TO BECOME WIDESPREAD AND INTENSIFY
THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY. SNOWFALL RATES WITHIN
THE LAKE EFFECT BANDS MAY APPROACH 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR
TONIGHT...AND 10 TO 14 INCHES ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY BY DAWN. THE
HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL OVER HIGHER TERRAIN EAST OF MUNISING. ALTHOUGH
THE SNOW INTENSITY WILL GRADUALLY DIMINISH ESPECIALLY ON SATURDAY...
AS MUCH AS ANOTHER 10 TO 20 INCHES OF SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE FRIDAY
THROUGH SATURDAY

It really is hit or miss though... Bands are usually 5-15 miles wide at best, and as soon as you leave a band, it's typically clear sky with very little accumulations.

I guess if you have to be out working in it, it would suck. But enjoying it from a meteorological perspective, or the warmth of your office is nice I guess, especially on or around Christmas :eek:

Back