rental cars and chasing?

I can see why a few people get upset over this issue but it is not like I or a lot of chasers are going out to just destroy a rental car or suv. I don't rent for the chance to go out and destroy a rental, I rent in case the rental breaks down. Better to put the miles on a rental then it is my truck.

If you get a flat tire, your covered. I have had a couple flats with rentals and you really can't predict getting a flat tire.

Another rental I had a few years ago the windsheld wippers died. Is that my problem? Did I break the windsheld wippers? No, the motor just died on a brand new suv.

A classic case of a rental was when I was chasing in Hurricane Rita. I started to drive away and noticed the alt light coming on. After getting no further then a mile from the airport, the alternator fried. My fault? Nope, defective from GM and got another Rental.

In Hurricane Katrina I had two rentals. The first one was running rough and I brought it back on 8/27 and got another SUV. The rental car company staff was cool about it and just switched it out.

It is not like were going to go out and destroy rentals when were 800 miles from home because were 800 from home. The rentals are rentals but they also the way home for us.

Oh and before I forget, one of the funny things about rentals is the people who work there. Some of them are not that bright. When I dropped of the rental in Houston after Katrina, the guy behind the counter said I would have to pay a one way rental charge since I did not rent it from Houston. I was shocked to say the least and asked him if he was joking. He said no, you did not rent it from our location so company policy states you have to pay a one way rental fee. I told the guy that I could not return it to the location I rented it from since it was no longer on the face of the earth... He looked at the paperwork again and said, oh, whoops.

During the earlier heydays of the Grateful Dead, 'quippie' (roadie) jokes abounded and were spread via newsletters and word of mouth in the pre-internet era. One I remember:

Q: Why did the quippie run the truck into the wall?
A: Because it was rented.

Among the chasers I know personally, this mindset would be totally foreign.

During the earlier heydays of the Grateful Dead, 'quippie' (roadie) jokes abounded and were spread via newsletters and word of mouth in the pre-internet era. One I remember:

Q: Why did the quippie run the truck into the wall?
A: Because it was rented.

Among the chasers I know personally, this mindset would be totally foreign.

I would tend to agree that this brand of chaser is probably rare, at least one would hope so. The simple truth of the matter is that there are many of us who come and visit the Alley from all kinds of faraway places, and it is not practical nor desirable for us to drive the entire distance, giving up precious chase time in the process.

Personally, whenever I rent a car it is always treated with the respect it deserves; I am more cautious with a rental than I would be even in my own vehicle. To state that chasers shouldn't rent vehicles is shortsighted, and more than a little disrespectful since it paints all of us who must rent with the same brush.

There is obviously an increased chance for some damage when a chaser rents, but I tend to believe that the insurance rates we pay supply an ample actuarial margin.

Also, please don't forget that when we visit the Alley to chase, we'll be spending money on gasoline, hotels, and eating in the local restaurants. In short, we'll be ADDING to the economy.

As for the small percentage of boneheads who drive recklessly or deliberately "punish" their rental vehicles, the law of averages will eventually remove them from the system.

John
www.skywatch7.com

Back