"Relocated" 2011 Storm Chasing by Ben Holcomb

I realize I finished work on my DVD a week too soon, but I am officially taking orders for my 2011 DVD entitled "Relocated". The title refers to the fact I moved from Lansing, MI to Norman, OK a little over a year ago, and shows video from my first year living in Tornado Alley which turned out to be a great one.

Footage includes:
April 9, 2011 - Mapleton, Iowa Tornadoes
April 14, 2011 - Stroud, Oklahoma Tornado
April 24, 2011 - Baird, Texas Tornado
May 24, 2011 - Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak (Chickasha and Shawnee Tornadoes)
June 20, 2011 - South Central Nebraska Tornado Outbreak (York and Polk Counties)
Bonus Feature: NASA Tweetup and launch of STS-135 Space Shuttle Atlantis July 8, 2011

Pricing is $15 plus $2 shipping. You can purchase my 2011 and 2008-2010 DVDs together for $28 plus $2 shipping. Ordering information can be found on my Website.

Here is a preview of what's on the DVD:

Watch video >

I would love to make trades with other chasers as well. If you have a DVD you would like to trade, please contact me [email protected]. Thanks!

Shipping now too? I think that's what you meant when you wrote "finished work on my DVD".

It is still being duplicated, but should be shipping early next week. By finished working on it a week too soon I was referring to the fact that I sent it off to the duplicators then saw more tornadoes a week later.

Ah...OK..cool. Well, be sure to let us know once you have it in hand. I may pre-order a day or so ahead. I'll go ahead and buy a more recent disk now and yours next.

Soon as I get a few extra shekels, I'll plunk them down on your DVD and do my part to keep you in Chick-Fil-A. I look forward to seeing the new "Best of Ben." Oklahoma's been good to you--but the best beer is still at the Walldorff!

Just an update - It looks like I should have DVDs in hand by Wednesday September 28th so I do anticipate my first shipment will go out Wednesday evening or first thing Thursday morning. I am excited to get this one out as I think it's dramatically better than my first DVD. My shooting style has matured and I've learned to use a tripod more often!

Thanks to everyone that ordered so far. I've shipped out my first set this afternoon and they should arrive Friday or Saturday. For anyone else waiting to order, why wait? Submit an order today and I will get it shipped out tomorrow!

Hey all.. I watched this yesterday!

Ben has an AMAZING DVD. May 24th just takes my breath away. Don't get me wrong, I caught 4 tornadoes on May 24th. But Ben just gets the most incredible view/contrast of the best tornadoes of the day, you just can't take your eyes off the TV!!

Beyond that, there are more big 2011 tornadoes like Mapleton, and the Baird, TX day where Ben gets RIGHT BESIDE them. There is also some cool Space Shuttle launch stuff, that is especially cool since it was the last launch from NASA!

I would definitely recommend getting this DVD for everyone!

Mine came in on Friday, not bad delievery time for coming this far east. I was out all day and fell asleep early, so I'll have to watch it today and do the review this evening.

Mine arrived yesterday, and Bridget and I popped it in the player while we had dinner. I'll just do this in bullet-point style....

*Packaging and shipping box was great. Personally this doesn't really matter to me, but for most of you, I know "professionalism" is a big deal. Ben doesn't disappoint on this aspect at all, as the DVD not only comes in a pro-style case, it's actually shrink-wrapped. The disc itself has a very professional-looking label, that, if my eyes don't deceive me, is actually burned on (though I cannot say for certain). But enough about aesthetics, let's move on to what's ON the disc.

*April 9 = A good starter for this DVD. Little editing, distant, and mobile video of this large tornado. Very raw feel, which I love. This will get you primed for later on.

*April 14 = Again, mostly raw video, with real sound and no gimmicks. What can I say, I like it as it happened. A great needle-in-a-haystack catch from Ben, which he seems to be developing a knack for (Sept 17 much?)

*April 24 = The video takes a more intense turn on this segment, as there are moments when Ben isn't exactly out of danger. Close range stuff that fans of 'Discovery' type clips should feast on.

*May 24 = Now Ben's cooking with gasoline. Great, tripoded video of a large and violent class tornado. He captures the entire storm in all its splendor as the tornado first develops, then moves in as it matures. Dramatic, static sequences of the large and destructive tornado as it becomes a dust and rain-shrouded wedge, with classic collar style rotating TC/mesocyclone carouseling above and around the tornado. This clip by itself, had I shot it, would've made my year. But this is just another day for Ben Holcomb in 2011.

*June 20 = I love this segment because it combines static shots along with mobile, "chasing it down" type of stuff. Ben gets high-contrast, close range video of the tornado as it moves across the road ahead of them, then they give chase and capture a few other tornadoes as the storm continues to cycle while attempting to evade them. They do a fantastic job of staying with the storm, and are rewarded with some incredible tornadic love.

Overall, I enjoyed the video and think it's a step up from his debut offering (which I also love because it's his formative years; raw, and unbridled....as all debuts should be IMO)

I didn't watch the bonus feature at the end, because I'm not into other scientific areas such as astronomy or geology. But space program lovers will rejoice, as Ben includes the final launch of space shuttle Atlantis, through his camera's eyes. A unique twist.

My only critique (and it's really not a critique, just my opinion) is the video contains some spots with timelpase and music. For most of you, these areas of the video will please you. For me personally, I find myself drifting away from the screen during TL/music montages, simply because it takes away from the raw emotion that draws me to chaser video in the first place. But again, this is just me....most of you will love this DVD start to finish.

A fine offering from an up-and-coming chaser. Ben put a lot of time, effort, and heart into this video and it shows. A more-than-worthy addition to any storm video collection.

First, I apologize to Ben as I meant to get this out a couple of days ago, and life got in the way.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to watch storm chaser Ben Holcomb’s new 2011 Storm Chasing DVD creatively titled Relocated. Ben moved to Central Oklahoma from Michigan to more conveniently and actively pursue his severe weather interests, and this DVD shows that move certainly paid off!

In full disclosure I must confess that I am friends with Ben. I’ve known Ben for a while now and have watched him grow not only as a storm chaser but as a photographer as well. His video skills have greatly improved over the last couple of years, and some of the segments in this video really show that! That said, he knows that I would be brutally honest in a review of his DVD, good or bad.

Despite the fact that I personally had the worst storm chasing season since 1988, Ben seemed to have been on a lot of tornadoes in 2011, and I’m kicking myself for not being there.
I've posted the full review at: http://daviddrummond.com/blog/2011/10/04/ben-holcoms-2011-relocated-storm-chasing-dvd-review/

I've posted a Black Friday special until tomorrow night when I take it down in the evening. I am selling my 2 DVDs (Relocated and The First Three Years) for $20 plus $2.50 shipping.

This is the absolute lowest price you will ever be able to pick these two DVDs up. Normal price is $28 plus $2 shipping, so it's a large savings for one day only.

You can order at http://www.benholcomb.com/Black-Friday-DVD-Special - Everything will be shipped out Monday and should arrive next week!

Back