Reliable wireless router?

A lot of us here have programs that upload weather products to our websites. (watch/warning maps, radar images, emwin stuff, etc) Well that includes me but it seems my router doesn't want to cooperate anymore. I'm currently using a lovely Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b wireless router which had been pretty decent when I first got it. Unfortunately it's suffering from constant lockups that can only be solved by power cycling the unit. I've checked with other users of this model and the majority seem to suffer from the same thing. Resetting the unit, downgrading firmware, disabling certain features, none of it solves the problem. So I'm fed up, done, ready to throw this out the door. That leads me to my next question, what is everyone else out there using for their wireless router? I don't hate Linksys as they usually produce pretty good products, I've just had a bad experience with one of their models. How is the WRT54G, anyone using that? It seems to be popular as you can use a multitude of firmwares out there as well as using linux on some of the older models. Does it lock up and require power cycling? The only other potential model I see out there is the D-link 524 and 624 routers. Buy.com has some decent deals on it right now:

524 router and 630 pcmcia card (54mbps)
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...7179&adid=17662

624 router and 650 pcmcia card (108mbps)
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...7180&adid=17662

Same question with those, will lots of FTP uploading and emailing crash these puppies? I know none of these routers will be 100% reliable, but having to reboot multiple times a day is just too much of a hassle. I appreciate the insight into this issue, thanks!!

Stan

I use the WRT54G and am yet to have a problem. I have also used a Netgear WGR614 which was horrible. The Netgear router would constantly drop singnal and lock up. If you are looking for a router and want to try something other than a Linksys I might recommend the Belkin F5D8230-4. That Belkin is pricey but you can find it for about $30 less on pricewatch. I have read and heard good reviews about that router.

I have to recommend the WRT-54G also. I have upgraded the firmware using the Alchemy upgrade and it allows the output of up to 251mw instead of the stock 19mw!!

The above firmware upgrade is good for an AP setup using the 54G also.

My .02 :D

I have a WRT-54G ver 2.2 and was about ready to throw it out the window. Large file transfers would often abort in mid transfer, repeatedly. However the latest (official) firmware solved that problem and now it works great.

I went through two problematic Linksys WRT54G's before getting a D-Link DI-524. The D-Link has been absolutely flawless for me, while both Linksys routers had a problem with dropping connections, and needing frequent resets.

From what I understand, the problems I've had with Linksys are isolated and not the norm. I know several people with WRT54G's that work just fine.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a WRT54G today, so we'll see what happens. It's gotta be better than this current router... :)

Stan

I use the WRT54G with the Alchemy firmware upgrade and have not had a problem with it. I also have DLink wireless routers but I prefer the Linksys. Having five wireless routers at my disposal (only one in use) I don't think there will ever be a problem with me getting connected.

I'm using the Linksys BEFW11S4 2.4gHz "B" router. I got it earlier this year and it has been flawless. The only times I've had to reset it was when my ISP (Comcast cable) got screwy and lost the connection.

Back