Question on widest tornado ever

I heard something earlier this year that there was a Tor this year that was over 2 miles wide and on the ground for something like 50 miles. Did anyone hear about this Tor? I went to a NWS Skywarn class last week and the meteorologist said the widest was 1 mile. Does anyone know any statistics to prove his statement differently?

I think the log in the NCDC database shows that they re-thought this. I think it did. They may of chopped an entire mile off.

I think the log in the NCDC database shows that they re-thought this. I think it did. They may of chopped an entire mile off.

Oddly enough, I can't find the Hallam tornado in Storm Data... You can search Nebraska, Tornado, 5/22/04 at http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dl...?wwevent~storms ... They have the many tornadoes that occurred on that day, but I can't find the Hallam monster... Perhaps it hasn't be submitted yet?

Historical slant: Among the widest tornadoes might be the Sunray, Texas tornado from June 1971. Can't remember the width but I understand it was a pretty huge wedge, on the order of 1-2 miles. I know it definitely gets a high "grinder" rating (width divided by speed), perhaps the highest on record. The June 1995 tornado near Kellerville, TX was also pretty wide, I believe the largest Tim Marshall saw in his career.

Tim

Oddly enough, I can't find the Hallam tornado in Storm Data... You can search Nebraska, Tornado, 5/22/04 at http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dl...?wwevent~storms ... They have the many tornadoes that occurred on that day, but I can't find the Hallam monster... Perhaps it hasn't be submitted yet?

As the tornado crossed several county lines, each segment is listed seperately, but here is the link for the Lancaster County (Hallam) seg.

http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dl...howEvent~538517

Misleading

The NCDC summary for this event is a little misleading. It only states the width of the tornado as it crossed into Lancaster County near Hallam.

"The tornado remained nearly at this strength as it crossed into Lancaster county near Hallam with a damage path of around 1 1/2 miles."

The NWS summary from May states the following:

"THE TORNADO FROM WILBER TO NORTH OF CLATONIA TO HALLAM GREW TO ITS MOST INTENSE STAGE. THE TORNADO'S PATH WIDTH ALSO INCREASED TO AN UNPRECIDENTED TWO AND ONE-HALF MILES."

So has this tornado been "officially" declared 1.5 miles wide at its widest stage, rather than 2.5 miles wide? If so, I would think there would be a statement in the NCDC summary explaining that.

This needs to be clarified.

Hypothetically speaking, as I do not have direct access to pictures of the entire damage path, but with an F4 tornado (winds at or above 200mph in the funnel) it doesn't seem impossible that a 1.5 mile wide wedge could cause minor damage due to much weaker tornadic winds outside the actual funnel, possibly up to 1/2 mile?

Corrections to this theory would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

By the way, Storm Data and NCDC uses tornado segments which divide the tornado track by county to help verify warnings.

2640 yards is the width of the tornado, Storm Data uses, which is 1.5 miles wide, not the 2 1/2 miles in the preliminary survey reports. Interesting to see, why it was change, did they initially include damage from the RFD of the tornado.

I would contact the SOO and WCM of the Omaha office to find how out why.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/oax

This is how the Hallam tornado looks in the final May 2004 Storm Data, for some reason, my computer could not paste it in format that they use. I had to type it up a bit diiferent, still contains the exact information from Storm Data.
Storm Data and Unusual Weather Phenomena May 2004

3 W Daykin to 3 N Daykin
Date: 22 May 2004
Time Local/Standard: 1830 to 1838 CST
Path Length: (Miles): 4
Path Width: (Yards): 440
Number of Persons
Killed: 0
Injured: 0
Estimated Damage
Property: 220K
Crops:
Character of Storm: Tornado (F1)
See description below.

6.5 SW Western to 3 E Wilber
Time Local/Standard: 1838 to 1910 CST
Path Length: (Miles): 20
Path Width: (Yards): 1200
Number of Persons
Injured: 8
Estimated Damage
Property: 20M
Crops:
Character of Storm: Tornado (F2)
See description below.

3 W Clatonia to 5 NE Clatonia
Time Local/Standard: 1910 to 1930 CST
Path Length (Miles): 7
Path WidthL (Yards): 2640
Number of Persons
Estimated Damage
Crops:
Character of Storm: Tornado (F4)
See description below.

1 S Hallam to 2 E Bennet
Time Local/Standard: 1930 to 2005 CST
Path Length (Miles): 19.5
Path WidthL (Yards): 2640
Number of Persons
Killed: 1
Injured: 30
Estimated Damage
Property: 100M
Crops:
Character of Storm: Tornado (F4)
See description below. F73PH

4.5 SW Palmyra to 1 WSW Palmyra
Time Local/Standard: 2005 to 2010 CST
Path Length (Miles): 3.5
Path WidthL (Yards): 880
Number of Persons
Estimated Damage
Crops:
Character of Storm: Tornado (F1)
See description below.

This long tracked tornado is often referred to as the Hallam tornado. It initially touched down 3 miles west of Daykin in northern Jefferson county. The tornado was rated an f0 or f1 in Jefferson county damaging farm outbuildings, grain bins and trees. From there the tornado crossed into Saline county southwest of Western and remained an f0 or f1 until it struck the southern portion of Wilber where it strengthened to f2. Roofs were blown off of homes just southeast of Wilber.

The tornado traveled from Wilber into Gage county, crossing the county line west of Clatonia where it grew to its most intense stage, f4. The tornado remained nearly at this strength as it crossed into Lancaster county near Hallam with a damage path of around 1 1/2 miles. Many well-built homes were demolished from Clatonia to Hallam, along with grain bins, farm sheds, and outbuildings. Many trees were destroyed or uprooted. Although Hallam itself escaped the strongest winds from the storm, which occurred just south of town, 95 percent of the buildings in town were either destroyed or severely damaged. The lone fatality from the tornado occurred in Hallam. The storm also toppled several hopper cars from a freight train on the west edge of town. In total 55 railroad cars were derailed.

From Hallam the tornado traveled east for several miles prior to turning northeast again just north of Cortland. The storm then tracked 2 miles north of Firth, severely damaging the Firth-Norris high school and a nearby middle school. School busses were tossed in this area. Several homes northeast of the schools were flattened as the tornado regained its f4 strength.

The damage path continued northeast to Holland and then to 2 miles north of Panama where the tornado weakened to around an f2 and the damage path began to narrow. The track then curved more toward the north, passing just south of Bennet where a few homes sustained f3 damage. After passing south of Bennet, the storm moved back to the northeast and began to weaken to f0 or f1 strength as it crossed into Otoe county southwest of Palmyra. The tornado finally dissipated 1 miles west southwest of Palmyra.

In total the tornado was on the ground or around 54 miles with a maximum intensity of f4. Besides the fatality, 38 people sustained injuries, 158 homes were leveled and 57 others were seriously damaged. The dollar amount of damage was estimated at 160 million, with 60 million of that agricultural including 100 cattle and 50 hogs lost. Some 150,000 acres of crop land sustained significant damage. The 5 counties were declared national disaster areas by Fema.
Mike

I have a hard time believing the Hallam tornado was ever actually 2.5 miles wide although I suppose it is possible. My unscientific guess would be that the damage path could have indeed been that wide but caused by a combination of the tornadic circualtion, RFD, and possible wobble of the track of the tornado, heck maybe even a strong inflow jet, I really don't know.

I did drive through the damage path east of Wilber on the way to another chase a few days later and can easily believe that it was 1.5 miles wide. Not too many may know, but there was another tornado in Southwest NE that was this wide in 1990.

http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dl...howEvent~156304

Those two are the widest I could find on my brief search of NCDC. Other then that I googled and found this link which says the widest was 1.8 miles in OK in 1947, which is before NCDC keeps records, btw. Anyone know if the Tornado Project books keep a list of the widest tornadoes?

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ok/county/wood...ward/intro.html

By the way, back in 1971 (as Tom Grazulis mentions in his most recent book) the average tornado width was recorded, not the widest path width. It is quite possible that the June 9, 1971 tornado was wider than the Hallam tornado at some point. Just a little food for thought.

Gabe

I also have a hard time believing the tornado to be that large ... we do have video shot as the tornado was moving through Hallam from the south of town - through the lightning strokes you can make out what looks like a very large tornado - but it was probably about five miles away from our position, and very difficult to tell because of the lowlight conditions. Here's a vidcap of an earlier tornado from the same storm from southwest of Hallam by about 15-20 miles. Sorry for the quality ... looks better on TV.

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/mikeperegrine/HebronTornado.jpg

By the way, back in 1971 (as Tom Grazulis mentions in his most recent book) the average tornado width was recorded, not the widest path width. It is quite possible that the June 9, 1971 tornado was wider than the Hallam tornado at some point. Just a little food for thought.

Gabe

Surely they still don't do that? It would be the only explaination I could see why they would say Hallam was 2.5 and NCDC says 1.5. I don't measure tornadoes, I just chase them. :wink:

Back