Question about Roger Jensen

Joey Ketcham

I have a quick question, is Ronger Jensen the first person known to chase storms? Just wanted to make sure before I referenced him in a document I'm writing up on storm chasing.

He is recognized as the first "modern" person to chase storms. There is the story about Benjamin Franklin chasing a "whirl" through fields on his horse so it could be debated. Maybe someone else knows more about this story.

Articles depicting "stormchasers", go all the way back to the early 1980s I believe. I saw one once in an archived copy of Weatherwise magazine.

Was Roger Jensen friends with Neil Ward? That name goes back a ways too.

Dr. Doswell could answer your question - he's on the agenda for the Denver Convention.

Originally posted by jketcham
I have a quick question, is Ronger Jensen the first person known to chase storms? Just wanted to make sure before I referenced him in a document I'm writing up on storm chasing.

According to Tim Marshall, "[Roger Jensen] is recognized as one of the first chasers in the industrial age who traveled the back roads of North Dakota and Minnesota just to photograph a thunderstorm." (November 1996, STORMTRACK)

The article that the above quote came from can be found on a page I put together in rememberance of Roger Jensen after his death.

http://www.onthefront.ws/jensen.htm

Several other comments from chasers about Roger and the kind of person he was can be found there as well.

Jason

Yes, Roger Jensen was the first storm chaser, in the modern sense of the word. He started chasing in 1953. David Hoadley started in 1956. Neil Ward began sometime in the late 1950s. It should be noted that all of these people did start taking storm photos at earlier dates.

Roger Jensen made it to the 1997 Stormtrack party at Bobby Prentice's house, and it always bothered me that he was kind of ignored there. I wonder if word simply didn't get out about who he was. He also came to the 1998 party at Tim Marshall's house, however I can't remember any details... if my memory is correct a group of younger chasers got to talking to him for a long time.

Tim

Back