Question about Radar

level 2 linux apps

I was looking at this page https://www.radarservices.org/technical.php#NEXRAD regarding level2 data and it looks interesting.

I may go through with a plan of setting up my linux webserver to gather nexrad2 data and then deliver the images as gifs, jpegs or png os webpages.

I am new to meteorology and storm chasing but I have a lot of experience with linux/unix webservers and other internet technologies.

Is anyone on this list experienced in setting up weather tools on linux machines? Any advice on apps that I should set up? Is it worthwhile to set up your own tools vs collecting data from other websites, weather.cod.edu for example. Could this help me overcome some of the problems I now experience, such as forecast skewT images failing to render correctly on many browsers?

It would be silly to reinvent the wheel but if I could set up my webserver so that it gathered data specific to a site that I was chasing that day it could certainly make my WiFI stops a little more efficient. As of now a WiFI stop involves logging in to the service(sometimes a lengthy process), hitting the spc site for Mesoscale discussions and warnings, Checking radar data, checking stormtrack target area forum. Usually WiFI is pretty fast once I get logged on but I always feel like I would stay and gather more data if I had the time but time is usually in short supply.
Also it seems that once the tornado warning goes up it is usually 15 minutes behind real life. So if you are not in the target area already you had better be awful close. So it would be nice to have data good enough to predict the warning BEFORE they do.

The dream would be to have my webserver do some virtual chasing in my target area and call me on my cell phone when it detects a hook echo a tornado vortex signature or any other interesting data. Sort of a "virtual nowcaster" . I can hear the automated voice now, "this is your computer calling, " Just kidding... I think. A web page or some collection of data on the target above and beyond what I gather now might be nice.

It might also help me set up case studies so I can study a stored collection of the days events and try and figure out why things played out the way they did. Just seeing what is out there. What sort of Linux based weather apps do other storm chasers have set up?

Thanks,

Tom

Back