Question about grlevel2 and 3

Taylor Benson

Enthusiast
Hey, "newbie" here. Been chasing 3 or 4 years on the good days I don't have to work. I'm no expert but I've gotten pretty good at being there when it happens if it does happen. My tools for chasing are pretty simple. I use a older cheap tablet to display pykl3 in a cup holder mount and my cell phone to display Google maps for navigation mounted in a weboost cradle on my dash. I use my hotspot on my phone for internet on the tablet. It works for what I wanna do. But would really be nice is if I could display county road maps on top of the radar. It's a pain in the butt trying to zoom in and out on Google maps to find roads while I'm driving and a lot of other little annoyance's with the setup I have but it does work. I'm wondering if grlevel2 or 3 is really worth the money to get if I am just chasing for the thrill of seeing tornadoes or should I just stick with what I'm doing? Also my tablet picked up a real bad itd (internet transmitted disease)at a gas station in Kansas last year. No matter what I do I can't get rid of it and I'm thinking of just getting a new one. Any recommendations on which one to get to run pykl3 or grlevel2 if I decide to try it? Thanks for the help

They are worth the money - and since they both offer free trials just try them both and see which works better for you based on your radar knowledge / ability to interact while chasing / etc.

GRLevel3 is ideal for most chasers. GRLevel2 will use a lot more bandwidth on the road, and also lacks some crucial radar products unless you pay a hefty premium for GR2 Analyst.

Keep in mind that GRLevelX runs on Windows, while PYKL3 is for Android. So no matter which tablet you get, it won't be able to run both apps. Your choice of a new chasing tablet should probably be heavily influenced by which app you prefer and plan to run.

I would recommend downloading the free trial of GRLevel3 on your desktop/laptop and giving it a spin for a few days. Then you can make an informed decision.

As someone who's used both GR and PYKL3 for a long time, I think that GRLevel3 is the fastest, smoothest, and most feature-filled software of its type*. The only major downside to using it on a tablet is that it's *still* not optimized for multi-touch use -- for example, the buttons and menus are tiny on most screens and not conducive to tapping and swiping.

*PYKL3 is fantastic for day-to-day mobile use on your phone, but not necessarily ideal to lean on exclusively during the heat of the chase.

I recently aquired an older (2013) Dell Venue 8 Pro running Windows 10. Has anyone tried running GRLevel3 on it in the field?

Perhaps this isn't the correct post to ask at, but seems close.
I'm planning on purchasing GRL3 and want to use it on more than one comp. Does anyone know if the GR license allows for multiple computers?
Thanks!

From the developer on the GR forum:

"My fundamental rule for a GR license is that only one person can use the license at a time. If you usage scenario obeys that rule then there's no problem."

So I used to be pretty good with this tech stuff but I'm pretty slow with it these days. So if I bought a tablet that said it operated on a Windows 10 system for $200 or so would it run grlevel3 or am I missing something? I've read old post from years ago about tablets running on windows being way to expensive but like I said the post were from years ago.

Back