Prayers needed...and ANSWERED!

This is without doubt the most enjoyable report for me to post thus far in this thread!!

Yesterday Floss took Matt's almost-3 year old niece in with her to visit him. Matt, BTW, is out of ICU and has had the "trach" removed from his neck, as he has been breathing on his own for some time now.

When they walked in, Matt looked at them and smiled at them. Floss said to Hannah: "Give Uncle Matt one of your coins from your purse, Hannah!" Hannah pulled a coin from her purse, held it out in her hand towards Matt, and Matt reached over and took the coin from Hannah. This was repeated a couple more times. I think Floss said Matt also gave her a hug at one point.

Maybe he'll be speaking soon!

Bob

This is without doubt the most enjoyable report for me to post thus far in this thread!!

Bob
[/b]

Thanks Bob for the update. I am so glad to hear Matt is on the mend!

Rean

Lord, I pray you will bless Matt. I pray you will cause his body and brain to be whole again. I pray you would heal this man. Lord, I pray for wisdom for the doctors and everyone involved. May you draw his family closer to you through this tough time. Thank you for Holly. Fill her Lord. Be her strength and peace. It can only come from you. I commit this entire situation to you in Jesus Name. Amen....

Update time!

Matt has been out of the "regular" hospital, and in the "rehab hospital", for a couple weeks or so now. I am back in PA visiting until Thursday. We visited Matt early last week before Floss caught strep throat, so we stayed away for a few days while the penicillin did its stuff.

He continues to show remarkable improvement every single day.

Yesterday morning, the phone rang here at the house, and Floss answered. Matt was on the phone, and said "Happy Mothers' Day!" This was, perhaps, the best Mothers' Day present she has ever received.

There is a lot of joy and smiles in PA these days.

We went to see him late in the afternoon (after spending a couple hours cleaning up paint that I spilled all over the sidewalk and back porch...hahahaha!....yeesh) and here's the deal:

Matt now pretty much understands everything said to him and can process that information and reply to it, but the replying part is, so far, a struggle. We had a hunting show on TV, for example, and I asked if he'd like to watch something else. He said "yes", so we surfed cannels until we found a travel channel showing scenery. After a couple minutes, I stated that it looked like NM. He said "You would know that better than me." (but it's usually pretty tough to understand what he says unless you think about it for a couple seconds or ask him to repeat) Later, we put on the Suns/Clippers game. He asked me who I wanted to see win, and said he was rooting for the Clippers. I asked him if he knows where he is, and he said "In the hospital". I said "yeah, but in what city?" He replied "Sunbury", which is wrong, so I told him he's in Danville, not Sunbury....but no matter. His feeding tube has been removed, and he is eating solid food (sort of...everything must be pureed, like mashed potatoes, applesauce, that sort of thing).

He asked to talk to his brother Bret, so we called him, and they talked for several minutes. He wants Bret to come visit him today, so Floss and I will be making sure Bret gets a ride there today. He asked about Holly and the kids, and we reassured him that his family is well. (They visit frequently, too, but weren't there at the time)

I could go on and on, but you get the point. Matt's back.

There's talk that he may be ready to go home in 4-6 weeks.

He can't stand on his own yet, and there's plenty of therapy ahead (speech, occupational, physical), but he's getting a couple hours of all that every day.

This will probably be my last update until I report that he's home.

Thank you God.

Bob

This is great to hear!!

I'd like to agree with Brian's prayer as I don't think it can be put any better.
You are all in our continued prayers here.

Glad to hear it, Bob. Thanks for the update!
[/b]

Wow.....I just was bored, so I surfed on into this thread and began reading it from the beginning. It immediately brought tears to me. What an incredible ordeal. And it just goes to show you that prayers absolutely do work It sure seems like the part of the brain that makes Matt .."Matt" is ok. To me.....this is the most important thing that all could hope for. Now....onward with the grueling and time-consuming therapy. Godspeed to all involved. I'll surely be following this for updates. Joel

Matt is home.

He went home Saturday.

He still needs a caretaker 24/7 until his leg strength comes back, etc. (amazing to me how much atrophy the muscles suffer in just a couple months of non-use!), but wife Holly and mom Floss will tend to that most of the time. I don't know how long that will take.

His brain is also still recovering, but he's wanting to get back to work, if only in a supervisory role for now. (He owns a contracting company with a few employees, and is always backlogged with work to do.)

Thank you all one last time for your prayers, and THANK YOU GOD!!!!!

And on that note........

This is my last post in this thread!!!

Bob

Back