Point 'n' Shoot Digital Cameras

A friend of mine wanted me to ask about digital point 'n' shoot cameras. She's not looking into the DSLRs like I am, and I honestly haven't looked at any point and shoot types outside of the Nikon Coolpix. She was looking for something a bit cheaper.. here's what her list of "requirments is"

1. She's mainly looking to shoot for her website.
2. She says prints aren't an issue, but she'd like to be able to get decent looking ones blown up from time-to-time (I would say 8x10 at the most).
3. She basically wants something like her current 35mm point and shoot, something that's not complicated, but takes decent pictures.

She's definately not interested in all the bells and whistles that are out there... something that'll take good web photos with the ability to blow up to a decent 8x10 is her biggest concern.

I would also add (as the techie nerd I am) that she would be happier with a camera that won't go dead in a year; one that'll last a few. Zoom is an option, as her current camera has one. I would also think something automatic for the most part, but I would also add that her pictures tend to blur in lower light cause the automatic setting exposes it longer even with a flash sometimes. Perhaps something that would eliminate that problem!

Anywoo, thanks for the input... I'll keep her informed of what you all think. Again, don't go ape trying to find things out, just if you have experiences with a specific brand or know of good ones, let me know!

-Tony

I think I posted some in another thread somewhere. I don't really remember....

However, here's my thoughts:

Canon A20. Very nice PNS Camera with some manual settings. Doesn't take a bad picture at all.

Canon G series. More advanced than the A20 and will also use the EX Series flashes. Accordingly has a higher price tag.

Olympus C Series cameras. All around good cameras. I've used the 2100 and 3030. For a while these were my main cameras for digital work. If you can still get one, the C2100 is an excelent camera. Has Image stabilization, 10X optical zoom, burst mode, etc.

There are several Sony offereings that seem to be pretty good.

Panasonic has a camera that carries a Ziess lens and does a nice job. Unfortunatly, I don't remember the model number.

My sister did a bunch of research in the same space as your friend and decided on the Canon Elf series.

Something like the S410 or SD300

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...fcategoryid=113

They are in the $300 to $400 range. My sister got an extra 512MB card and stayed under $500

She absolutely loves it. It even does 30second avi's and what not.

The S410 has a $70 rebate at the moment.

-Tyler

I bought a Canon Powershot A70 last March. it's a 3.2 MP with 3x optical zoom. Current picture count is at 6,100 and no burp's yet.

The A70 is not made but the newer A75 can be bought for under $200

I've been pretty happy with it during the 2004 season and will be using it this season again for the quicker shots.

Some examples can be seen here

Fireworks

Flowers (highbw)

Soccer Pics

2004 Chase Pics

A few years back I bought my first digicam, a Sony DSC-P50. It was 2MP, well build, and produced very nice pictures. Although I can't swear for Sony's recent build quality, I'd guardedly recommend the DSC-P73 from Newegg. 4MP, PHD (Push Here, dummy! 8) ) simple controls, and solid software (at least that's my impression of Sony's computer utilities, FWIW.)

Throw in another $35 for a 256MB memory card, and $30 for 4 NiMH batteries and a smart charger, and you're still on the sunny side of $300.

I used a friend's Canon A40 for a day. It was easy to use and took sharp piccies. Not a bad choice either, IMO.

-Greg

PS! Whatever camera she buys, PLEASE have her remove those Stoopid, Ugly, Tacky, "4MP!" stickers that manufacturers plaster all over the bodies.

The Nikon Coolpix 5700 can be had for under $400, possibly less shopping around or on eBay.
5 megapixel, 8x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom, 60 second quicktime vid, plenty of shooting options, and can be fitted with a wide-angle or 2x tele lens. Consumer reports rated the camera among the best non-SLR versions out there.

a lot of nice cameras out there, that will be able to do that..

but what's the budget?

I own a Canon PowerShot A20. Awesome beginner digital camera. I have used it for 3 or so years, take tons of pics inside and out and it has stood the test of time very well. Still runs like new.
I don't mess with settings either, just point and shoot. I use zoom and that is about it.

Originally posted by David Schuttler+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Schuttler)</div>

You took those tornado pics (May 29) with the Powershot? Those aren't too shabby at all!

<!--QuoteBegin-Tomas Capolongo

a lot of nice cameras out there, that will be able to do that..

but what's the budget?

I would say $200 or less. She's aiming for something under $100, but I don't think she'll be able to get all that she wants for $100. I told her she needs to figure on about $200.

I've looked at the Powershot series and have seen the A85 for as little as $200, which I think would work just fine for her. I haven't jumped too deep into research as I'm still playing with my own choices for cameras, but I would think something along the lines of the Powershots would be just fine!

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Schuttler

You took those tornado pics (May 29) with the Powershot? Those aren't too shabby at all!

I've looked at the Powershot series and have seen the A85 for as little as $200, which I think would work just fine for her. I haven't jumped too deep into research as I'm still playing with my own choices for cameras, but I would think something along the lines of the Powershots would be just fine![/b]

Thanks,Everything in 2004 was..atleast half were taken while driving also.
8x10's have turned out good,I havn't tried anything larger.
I've had moire? problems at times but that probably is the user :roll: not knowing settings.

Here's a sample movie

Originally posted by David Schuttler
Thanks,Everything in 2004 was..atleast half were taken while driving also.
8x10's have turned out good,I havn't tried anything larger.
I've had moire? problems at times but that probably is the user :roll: not knowing settings.

Here's a sample movie

David,

I'm impressed! I've actually read up a bit on the A85 which Buydig has going for $192 plus shipping. It looks like good value for the money. I'm probably gonna recommend she buy that one if your pictures look that good. It may be more than she needs, but hey, it'll work just fine, I think! The accessory kit that comes with it (256, case, lens cleaning) may also be worth the buy, too, but I'll see. I'm gonna pass this along to her! Thanks for the input!

I own a Sony DSC-P8 at 3.2 megapixels that is a very very nice and compact camera that packs quite a punch. I blew up two photos from last year's chase trip to 20x30 and they look spectacular.

It's small, but the photo in my avatar was taken with that camera. If you like being able to carry a camera easily in your pocket, there's another plus.

I bought my Canon Powershot A75 through newegg.com and got an additional 512 card all for a good deal. Can't seem to remember how much, but I'm pretty sure it was under $300. It's pretty awesome to see that this little camera does that good of a job as I am nervous about taking it out for pictures this season. It boosts my confidence that those images are pretty good quality!!! :D

I bought a Canon Powershot a85 and have been impressed

It has many nice features and settings and the price was nice too. Bought it before x-mas with a 512mb memory card from Dell for 270 total. Not a bad deal indeed. Im looking fwd to shooting some weather with it this spring.

I did break down and buy a Canon Powershot A85 w/ 256 card, case, and cleaning kit for $240 on Bugdig.com! After helping my friend shop around for one, I found myself falling for the Powershot myself. Saw the deal on Buydig.com and bit. It arrived today, and I've taken 3 dozen pictures with it thus far to check it out. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality and ease of use for it. I haven't taken anything serious yet, but in what I have shot in various situations, it does very well! With this purchase, I've decided to stick with my Canon AE-1 as my higher quality film camera (for real photographs) and use the digi-PnS for the semi-nice pictures and website stuff. I think that setup will be nicer. After shopping for the SLR cameras, I realized the current setup with my AE-1 and the 300mm lens was the best I was going to get for what I wanted. In which case, I elected to go the cheaper route and spend a couple hundred on a digi-PnS. I think the Canon Powershot will do me just fine for what I want. Now just to convince my friend to buy one!

Back