Pics from INSIDE A Twister & Speculation of Appearance

Anyone got an answer for my second query in the original post? :D In case ya missed it... :wink:

And a wild question: would it be possible, assuming you have the right kind of equipment that is portable-to \"scan\" a tornado and do a 3D representation that could examine the twister from different vantage points, including a view into the funnel?

If we're not there yet technologically, how far are we from that point? And yes, I'm taking into consideration the near-impossibility of being at the right place and time to catch these beasts.

Unleash dem big brains. :p

[Homer]Braaaaaaaains...yummmmmmmm...!![/Homer]

:)

Have you heard of the dual-and-triple doppler experimentation that has been taking place for some years now in the field with the DOWs?? See Wurman et. al. and Bluestein?

Triple doppler would give you not only representation on a X-Y axis but also the Z axis.

These experiments have been taking place in the field for many years now - although it is inherently difficult to get all that heavy equipment in the right place at the right time and coordinated.

KR

Don't mathematical models of tornadoes suggest sinking air throughout most of the central portion of the tornado funnel? This would suggest that most of the funnel's center is cloud free. Although being able to see this "clearness" from the surface, I'm sure, would be rather difficult.

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden
Have you heard of the dual-and-triple doppler experimentation that has been taking place for some years now in the field with the DOWs?? See Wurman et. al. and Bluestein?

Triple doppler would give you not only representation on a X-Y axis but also the Z axis.

These experiments have been taking place in the field for many years now - although it is inherently difficult to get all that heavy equipment in the right place at the right time and coordinated.

KR

Thanks, Karen! :) Will check this out.

8)

Back