Panasonic Firewire ports

Dan Cook

EF5
Has anyone had any issues with Panasonic's firewire ports?

I was recording some test video with my new GS39 and my computer is not recognizing that there's a video camera plugged into the firewire port. I'm not sure if it's my comp, the camera itself, or the cable as it worked earlier this morning but hasn't since.

Has anyone had any issues with Panasonic's firewire ports?

I was recording some test video with my new GS39 and my computer is not recognizing that there's a video camera plugged into the firewire port. I'm not sure if it's my comp, the camera itself, or the cable as it worked earlier this morning but hasn't since.

Check your Device Manager while your camera is plugged in to see if it reports any unknown devices.. you might need to reinstall a driver if this is the case. I also found I had to disable the firewire port as a network device in order for my camera to work properly.

Both my Sony’s and my DVX100A do this from time to time. It's not the cameras though of course because I know they work. On occasions though, my PC just stops recognizing them for what ever reason. In this case I simply reboot the PC ( I am sure there is a better way but after all the editing I have done it sure helps to clean up the bogged-down PC as well)

Anyway, If this is your first time to connect the camera to the port then make sure your firewire port is working (Device Manager). If you know that it is working, then try reinstalling the drivers. Most cameras automatically install the drivers the first time they are connected to the PC.

What OS are you running Dan? If it's XP you should have seen the popup that said Windows had found new hardware and was installing it. If had troubles it would have told you so.

I am sure you knew that though.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Device manager's not showing anything out of the ordinary; my computer doesn't make the "ding" noise when I turn the camera on, though it did before.

I bought a 4pin to 6 pin cable a while back with the first camera, and am using a PCMCIA firewire card; device manager doesn't show any problems with it.

I'll check out the driver thing; the box didn't come with any CDs or anything and my camera worked fine the first time I plugged it in.

If you have not already done so, try rebooting the PC. Turn your camera off first and then when the PC boots back up turn the camera on again.

If that does not work try plugging the firewire cord into another slot. I have had to do that also.

I don't know the the reasons why, I just know some work arounds. lol

I've got a firewire port on this lappy but it's a 4 pin; I'm getting a 4 pin to 4 pin cable this weekend. Where would I find the port in device manager?

Mickey:

Yup; I've rebooted multiple times and done the other slot thing. Nada.

I bet it is the cable. I had a cable go bad not that long ago. I was surprised something like that would just go bad, but it was certainly the cable.

That's what I hope it is as Buydig wants all the original packaging with a return but I got rid of it when I got it.

I purchased a cable off ProVantage.

Fro whatever reason Im thinking the 4 to 4 pin will not work unless the power is on both the laptop and the camera.. Im sure someone will correct me here but a 4 pin isnt powered. a 6 pin is.

if you have a four pin to a four pin both units need to be AC powered.. I could be wrong but i think your answer is where this issue lies..

Check that out : )

Back