Palm Sunday Tornado Outbreak Page Returns

As the 40th anniversary of the 11-April-1965 Palm Sunday tornado outbreak nears; and due to random inquires as to where the page went over the past several months, I have resurrected the PSO homepage.

The new URL is: http://homepages.wmich.edu/~b1naftel/outbreak65.html

Multimedia links (video/audio) are currently down; but all photo and text links should be functioning. Please let me know if you discover any dead links; or if interested in contributing any additional information, photos, etc.

..Blake..

A few new PSO stuff suggestions ...

I think I've died and gone to heaven! First J B Dixon announces that he's dug up a never-before-seen sequence of photographs taken of the 1975 Omhama NE tornado, and now this!? :eek: I've been secretly praying you'd bring this back to life again.

You should contact fellow ST member Bob Hartig, we were discussing this event a while back and he posted some photographs he had scanned from the South Bend Tribune '65 writeup of the event, that we'd never seen before:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex...9&a=31335589&f=

Disregard the first photo in that album (it's Xenia OH april 3rd 74 tornado). The last two shows the Lapaz-Wyatt IN tornado from the Palm Sunday outbreak, but there appears to be some discrepancies associated with these shots, as discussed in this ST thread:

http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2844

Thumbs up buddy :thumbup:

Blake, that's great news! Your Palm Sunday material is topnotch. I mourned its passing and rejoice in its revival. There will be dancing in the streets! :)

Palm Sunday Tornadoes

That outbreak had my intrigue level very high for another reason.
I didn't personally experience the tornadoes, but in the early 1970's did some research on the event and read a couple articles detailing extensive electrical activity that accompanied some of the tornadoes.
If I remember correctly, one article was titled something like"Luminous Phenomenon Associated With The Palm Sunday Tornadoes"
The twin glowing tornadoes picture was in one of the articles. Several persons had described ball lightning in conjunction with the tornadoes.
I remember reading at least one description detailing colored balls coming out the bottom of the tornado.

Re: Palm Sunday Tornadoes

That outbreak had my intrigue level very high for another reason.
I didn't personally experience the tornadoes, but in the early 1970's did some research on the event and read a couple articles detailing extensive electrical activity that accompanied some of the tornadoes.
If I remember correctly, one article was titled something like"Luminous Phenomenon Associated With The Palm Sunday Tornadoes"
The twin glowing tornadoes picture was in one of the articles. Several persons had described ball lightning in conjunction with the tornadoes.
I remember reading at least one description detailing colored balls coming out the bottom of the tornado.
That's funny . . . I was just reading that article in an old Weatherwise at my university today.

But, yes, people did see considerable luminous phenomena with this tornado, such as this eyewitness's story:
‘‘We were shaken up and our trailer along with others was dented badly from hai the size of baseballs. The beautiful electric blue light that was around the tornado was something to see, and balls of orange and lightning came from the cone point of the tornado. The cone or tail of the tornado reminded me of an elephant trunk. It would dip down as if to get food then rise up again as if the trunk of an elephant would put the food in his mouth. While the trunk was up the tornado was not dangerous, just when the point came down is when the damage started. My son and I watched the orange balls of fire roll down the Race Way Park then it lifted and the roof came off one of the horse barns. . . .’’

BTW, Blake, great to see the site back.

Very cool page, Blake - one of the more informative tornado resources I've seen on the internet. Obviously a lot of time went into it! Kudos.

Back