• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

45th Anniversary Commemorative Event for Palm Sunday Tornadoes

Sunday, April 11, is the 45th anniversary of the second worst tornado outbreak in modern Midwestern history, the 1965 Palm Sunday Outbreak. My friend Debbie Forsythe-Watters is planning a commemorative event at her Tornado Memorial park in Dunlap, IN, just south of Elkhart. That is ground zero for the worst tornado of the entire outbreak, an F5 that killed 36 people, including Debbie's brother Stevie. Just 2 1/2 miles down the road, what is probably the most famous tornado photograph of all time was taken as an earlier tornado demolished the Midway Trailer Court, in the process splitting into twin funnels that straddled US 33.

More at my blog. I will supply details as they become available for anyone who may be interested in attending the event.

EDIT: Mod, would you kindly change the first part of the subject line to read "45th" instead of "455h"? Thanks! It's late and the ale is strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back