Ohio Severe Weather Symposium: April 15

Mark your calendars for April 15, 2005 in Columbus, Ohio. The Ninth Annual Ohio Severe Weather Symposium will be held at the Fawcett Center on the campus of Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. The event will be attended by researchers, broadcast meteorologists, government personnel, OSU students, and people interested in meteorology and severe weather.

In the past some of the speakers that have spoke include: Dr. Harold Brooks, Dan McCarthy, Dr. Greg Forbes and Melissa Barrington from the Weather Channel, Dr. Hugh Willoughby, and Dr. Phillip Krider. Dr. Brooks and Mr. McCarthy have spoken at the event on more than one occasion.

http://geog-www.sbs.ohio-state.edu/metclub...ges/swsinfo.htm

Sponsors include the NWS/Wilmington, Ohio River Forecast Center, and the Ohio State Department of Geography.

Tentative draft schedule (subject to change!) is as follows (you heard it first here on Stormtrack):
2005 Ohio Severe Weather Symposium Schedule (Tentative)
Friday, April 15, 2005 Ohio State Fawcett Center

2005 Ohio Severe Weather Symposium Schedule
7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. check-in/coffee
Morning Facilitator: Jeremy Bower
8:00 a.m. - 8:15 a.m. Introductions
OSU Meteorology Club President - Jeremy Bower
Director of Atmospheric Science Department - Dr. Jay Hobgood
Wilmington NWS meteorologist/Co-Coordinator - Mike Ryan
8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m. Robin Belton-Gerhardt
8:50 a.m. - 9:25 a.m. Joe Heim
9:25 a.m. - 9:35 a.m. break
9:35 a.m. - 10:10 a.m. Rick McCoy
10:10 a.m. - 10:50 a.m. Harold Brooks
10:50 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Discussion of afternoon events
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. lunch/Department Tours
12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Tim Vasquez (Forecast School)
Afternoon Facilitator: Sara Young
1:00 p.m. - 1:10 p.m. afternoon introductions
OSU Meteorology Club Vice President - Sara Young
1:10 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Ken Haydu's introduction of Dr. Uccellini
1:15 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Dr. Louis Uccellini
2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. Dan McCarthy
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. break
3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Dr. Josh Wurman
3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. closing Q&A

Hear, hear, George. Too bad its on a Friday. I know myself and some of my posse will likely make the trip. This looks too good to miss. Our professors will just have to understand...

Ben

Hey! That's right here in town (hopefully, I may be forced to move soon due to significant trouble with my roommate).
Just a short bus ride away. If my work schedule permits, and I'm still in town, I'll be there.

Jeremy Bower, who is organizing this event, asks that attendees "RSVP at [email protected] Name, email or some other contact info, and affiliation would be fine on that."

Tim

Sounds like a wonderful excuse to go back home and visit some friends in Circleville. Definately would make finding a place to crash for the weekend pretty easy. Unfortunately getting out won't be as cheap as Dallas will, so I'm not sure its a trip I'll be able to make. Sounds like a good conference, though! Will be sorry I missed it! :cry:

Symposium Update

My name is Jeremy Bower and I'm the President of the Meteorology Club here at Ohio State and the Co-Coordinator of the Ohio Severe Weather Symposium.

This year's Symposium should be a great conference and we are looking forward to presenting this to everyone. Here is the schedule along with the titles of each presentation being presented at this year's conference.

7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. check-in/coffee

Morning Facilitator: Jeremy Bower
8:00 a.m. - 8:15 a.m. Introductions
OSU Meteorology Club President - Jeremy Bower
Director of Atmospheric Science Department - Dr. Jay Hobgood
Department of Geography Chair - Dr. Morton O’Kelly

8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m. Robin Belton-Gerhardt
“An Examination of the January 2005 Flooding Across the NWS Wilmington, Ohio Hydrological Service Area"

8:50 a.m. - 9:25 a.m. Joe Heim
"Operational Quantitative Precipitation Estimation Bias in the OHRFC Region"

9:25 a.m. - 9:35 a.m. break

9:35 a.m. - 10:10 a.m. Rick McCoy
"A Community Prepared, the Van Wert, Ohio Tornado"

10:10 a.m. - 10:50 a.m. Harold Brooks
“Climatological Aspects Of Convective Parameters From The NCAR/NCEP Reanalysisâ€

10:50 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Discussion of afternoon events

11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. lunch/Department Tours
12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Tim Vasquez - Forecast School

Afternoon Facilitator: Sara Young
1:00 p.m. - 1:10 p.m. afternoon introductions
Wilmington NWS meteorologist/Co-Coordinator - Mike Ryan
OSU Meteorology Club Vice President - Sara Young

1:10 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Ken Haydu's introduction of Dr. Uccellini

1:15 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Dr. Louis Uccellini
“NCEP Updateâ€

2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. Dan McCarthy
“40th Anniversary of the Palm Sunday Tornado Outbreak and How It Changed Tornado Preparednessâ€

2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. break

3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Dr. Josh Wurman
“TBAâ€

3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. closing Q&A

For those of you that do plan on coming here are some directions and you can base that from the direction you will be coming.

From the North
1. Take either I-71 or State Route 23 South to I-270 West.
2. Take I-270 West to State Route 315 South.
3. Follow State Route 315 South to the Lane Avenue exit
4. Go East (a left turn) on Lane Avenue.
5. Take Lane Avenue to Olentangy River Road (second traffic light).
6. Turn North (a left turn) on to Olentangy River Road.
7. The Fawcett Center is the first driveway on the East (right) side of Olentangy River Road.
From the South
1. Take either I-71 North to State Route 315 North, OR State Route 23 North to I-270 West to State Route 315 North.
2. Follow State Route 315 North to the Lane Avenue exit.
3. Go East (a right turn) on Lane Avenue.
4. Take Lane Avenue to Olentangy River Road (second traffic light).
5. Turn North (a left turn) on to Olentangy River Road.
6. The Fawcett Center is the first driveway on the East (right) side of Olentangy River Road.
From the East
1. Take 670 West to State Route 315 North.
3. Go East (a right turn) on Lane Avenue.
6. The Fawcett Center is the first driveway on the East (right) side of Olentangy River Road.
From the West
1. Take I-70 East to State Route 315 North.
3. Go east (a right turn) on Lane Avenue.

I just bought my airline tickets... they're running about $330 to CMH out of Austin which isn't too bad. The 21-day and 14-day window is nearing, so anyone who's planning on going should buy their tickets soon.

Tim

Travel for Symposium

In case you are curious, the speakers and many that have travelled end up staying in the Fairfield Inn on Olentangy River Road. Thats not too far from the Fawcett Center at all (probably less than a mile). If you need hotel to stay at here is the link:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage....arshaCode=CMHSU

The rate is about $94 for one person per night's stay. If you have any questions about that or the Symposium please contact me directly at [email protected]

Going to have to back out of this one. I had to choose between the Symposium or an 8 hour spotter/chaser class offered by a nearby county. They are bringing in Dr. David Arnold from Ball State.

Maybe next year!

Hey everyone,

I've received some emails about some of you concerned if its too late to RSVP. You can actually RSVP anytime up to a few days before the Symposium. You need to RSVP no later than next Thursday (April 7th) at 6 p.m. if you want to be guarnteed a nametag and a Symposium information folder. We will be putting those together based on how many RSVPs we have up till at that time next Thursday. Now I understand some people may not know if they can attend up till a few days before and thats ok. We understand how some schedules can be in terms of work or school. You can still show up at the Symposium without giving us an RSVP because of that as some people have shown up before in the past like that. We're already expecting many individuals to attend that saw the announcement on the Stormtrack website and many of those haven't given us notice. The advantage to the RSVP is that we can account for you and make sure that you will receive an information packet at check-in. All we ask is that if you know for certain that you are coming, please give me an email at [email protected]

Also, some people have asked me about check-in and are you required to be there at 7:30 a.m. but don't want to stay for all the presentations. You are not required to be there at that time and you can check-in at the registration desk at any time during the day. I know that some of the students especially will have classes that day and thats why we try to make that work for everybody.

If anybody has any questions or comments about the Symposium please feel free to email me at the same address that was mentioned earlier.

RSVP

RSVP deadline for the Symposium is Thursday April 7th at 6:00 p.m. EDT. If you don't RSVP but still are planning on coming to the Symposium that isn't a problem. The whole RSVP thing is to get you a nametag and a folder with information regarding this year's Ohio Severe Weather Symposium.

I look forward to meeting many of you and it should be a great event.

Should be a fun conference. I'll be there with the Cal-U meteorology club. Josh Wurman was the keynote to last year's symposium at my school, should be great.

Back