Off-season tune-ups: Tips for Chaser Bloggers

There are a HECK of a lot of chaser blogs out there (and why not, they are fun!) , so I thought I would start this thread for people to suggest ways to improve chaser blogs and ask questions.

I'd like to start with a few tips and observations of my own:

Tip #1: Nobody like a slow page load. So how do you test to see if your blog is a slow loader? First of all, install the free Firefox web browser (version 3 or higher). Besides being a great browser for other reasons, Firefox can install useful "extensions" and you need one now called Firebug. Get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843
If you go to that URL using Firefox, just click on the "Add to Firefox" button and follow the simple instructions. When Firefox restarts you will see a little bug down in the lower right corner of your browser window.

STfirebug.png

So here's how you use it. Go to a page you want to test (like your blog's home page). Click the Firebug to open the NET tab. Now reload the page. What you'll see is each individual component of your page and how long it takes to load. Like this:
firebugResults.png

Now you can see just how much each item on your page "costs" in download time. (Obviously, the exact amount of time depends on each users connection speed, and can vary from request to request, but doing it a few times will give you a good idea of the "speed bumps" on your page.

Tip 2: Pre-size your pictures and choose the most economical file format and quality that still gives you the image quality you demand.

You'd be surprised how many people upload a big image and then have it resized in the HTML. It will look OK, but why would you make the user download a bigger file than you need them to see? The download time difference can be substantial. Figure out how big an image you want to display and resize it. If it is a JPEG, see how much difference you see when you save it at a lower "Quality" level. For monitor display, I find a JPG quality of 5 is find for web page use, in most cases. YMMV, but the point is don't save it in a higher quality than you can SEE A DIFFERENCE that matters to you.

Tip 3: Eliminate page elements that have too high of a "cost" in download time. There are lots of widgets and stuff out there and it is easy to get your page so loaded with them that pretty soon nobody wants to wait for the page to load to see them. Again, there is no right or wrong, and it is YOUR SITE. You can do what you want with it, but if you want readers and aren't just doing this to entertain yourself, then you will want to make some informed decisions in this regard.

That's just to get the ball rolling. I'll probably have a few more. Feel free to discuss and add your own suggestions in this thread.

(if you allow me)
Tip 4
Tell a story about what happened to end up with a photo (that photo) - not 5 photos with a one liner, that's not a story. Don't put to much photos on your story page, try to limit that to some highlights of your story - put a link to a photo gallery containing all your best shots about that story.

Tip 5
Make sure the elements you put on your page does fit the layout of your page. Stick to your layout and page width for your text with photos.

Tip 6
Web site can be demanding and challenging. If you don't plan to maintain it, then does it worth the pain ? ask yourself..

Tip 7
Test your web site and pages with 2-3 browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome). If you have a friend using Mac (Safari), ask him to double check you site and pages. Some nice and cool stuff can work very well under a browser, but might well be an horror in all the other ones.

Good idea Darren..

Last edited by a moderator:
Tip 4
Tell a story about what happened to end up with a photo (that photo) - not 5 photos with a one liner, that's not a story. Don't put to much photos on your story page, try to limit that to some highlights of your story - put a link to a photo gallery containing all your best shots about that story.

Yes, 15 photos on each of 10 blog posts on the homepage can cause hefty loading times for some, and waste bandwidth. A lot of bloggers use WordPress. There are photo gallery plugins that can be used to store the bulk of photos in a nice organized manner.

Tip 7
Test your web site and pages with 2-3 browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome). If you have a friend using Mac (Safari), ask him to double check you site and pages. Some nice and cool stuff can work very well under a browser, but might well be an horror in all the other ones.

I found this a couple weeks ago. http://www.spoon.net/browsers/
It lets you browse your site basically in any and every browser, without having to install them (you do have to install the Spoon plugin). Very cool.

Another tip...
Check your blog's links.

Nothing says I don't give a rat's gluteus maximus about my site (or my readers) than having bad/broken/outdated links on one's web site. (Especially when they point to "friend's" sites!).

Bad/broken/outdated links aren't necessarily your fault. Things change. People move pages, redesign sites (without giving a thought to legacy links that point to their old pages), or change domain names. Link checking periodically is just part of good web site maintenance practice.

Fortunately, it is free and easy to check and not much harder to fix.

Here's the way I do it (there are many others, so feel free to chime in with alternatives).

First, download and install the free Xenu Link Checker. Besides the price being right (did I mention it's free?) Xenu is multi-threaded (meaning it can do more than one thing at a time and so is fast) and it provides a nice report for you at the end of the process. As a bonus it can also generate a Site Map for your web site.

xenu1.png

xenu2.png

ONE CHANGE I would suggest to the settings I show above (ESPECIALLY FOR blogs) is to UNCHECK the "Broken links, ordered by page" and CHECK the "Broken links, ordered by links". The reason for this is that one broken link will be repeated for every page that link is found on in your report (making it look like you have a lot more work than you really do). Fix that one broken link and it will go away on EVERY page that includes that link.
"Broken links, ordered by links" shows you how much fixing you really have to do.

When your options are set, click OK on the Options window and then OK to the Starting Point Window. You will now see a lot of activity in the main Xenu window as the multi-threaded request start checking all the links on the web site. Depending upon the size of your site or blog (how long you have been posting to it) this may take some time. Let it finish.

When it is done you will see this window:

xenu3.png

OF COURSE you want a report. That's why you did this exercise. Again, it may take a bit of time (depending upon the size of the report) but your report will show in a web browser window (if one is not open, Xenu will start your default web browser to display the report).

Now you have a list of what links are broken and can set about repairing them (or removing them).

One note: Wikipedia does not play nicely with Xenu, so ignore any 403 errors you get from Wikipedia. The links/pages are probably good, and you can check them by copying and pasting them in your browser's address bar. For more info on this topic see: Xenu linkchecker software: why does it hate Wikipedia?

There is no better time to do this needed maintenance than during the off season!

Back