NWS and Videos

I've always provided any of my video to the FTW WSFO for use in Skywarn training and have been happy to do so for free. My compensation is that it hopefully will help illustrate and therefore save lives by educating the local spotters. It's also good advertisement as I'm givin credit for whatever is used.

Gary Woodall and Al Moller bust their butts producing what many concider the best training program in the country. I'm glad to contribute to that.

We have great access to the local office too so it's worth it to me to help out.
Helping educate the public and possibly saving lives helps justify my passion for storms. Not that anything but death could stop me :)

I've always provided any of my video to the FTW WSFO for use in Skywarn training and have been happy to do so for free. My compensation is that it hopefully will help illustrate and therefore save lives by educating the local spotters. It's also good advertisement as I'm givin credit for whatever is used.

Gary Woodall and Al Moller bust their butts producing what many concider the best training program in the country. I'm glad to contribute to that.

We have great access to the local office too so it's worth it to me to help out.
Helping educate the public and possibly saving lives helps justify my passion for storms. Not that anything but death could stop me :)

FTWWSFO was one of the ones that seemed very happy to get video. I agree though, I think if they want to use a finished and polished commercial production, perhaps they should buy it.

Stuff I give NWS will most likely contain, for example, the entire lifecycle of the tornado I got, which I might not put into a full commercial production. It also might contain some things that might be helpful to spotters, but the average watcher would either be bored with, or wouldn't know what they were watching. In other words, I am likely to send them lots of B-roll stuff.

NWS can have any of my video, for free, whenever they ask. They are using it mainly for educational and scientific purposes (to train spotters and warning decision makers), and so what if they are also entertained?

As for remarks about the government "owing you", please bear in mind that most of the folks responsible for spotter training in these offices are volunteering a TON of extra hours off the clock to do this. They are motivated by public service, helping save the lives and property of us folks and our family and friends. That's motivation enough for me to donate a little of my time, and the cost of one DVD (what, about $.80?) to help save others.

Also bear in mind the large number of volunteers that are part of the entire severe weather warning program (spotters, some EMs, etc). And also the fact that the fine folks at these WFOs are usually supplying us chasers with the data we require for us to make our catches. What a nice gesture to give them something in kind. I learned this idea from none other than Dave Hoadley, who frequently offered free storm photos and videos of the storms he saw to the WFOs who provided him the data for those chase days.

From a NWS perspective, we always appreciate getting video from events in (and even near) our CWA. We work very hard to update spotter training materials each season, and there's nothing better than fresh local video. I'm not particularly interested in slick produced videos with a soundtrack and special effects - raw video of the event is good enough for us.

Our office is happy to get any video - we've received unsolicited tapes from time to time, and every once in a while we'll approach a chaser requesting a specific video. I doubt you would find too many WFO's who would refuse to take your video.

And I can't speak for any other office, but there's no such thing as a government check book here.

Rick

I've given copies of my video out to various NWS offices this year, and in past years, I've done the same (normally raw, unedited footage). I guess like Greg said, what's another $1.00? My local NWS (DEN/BOU) office has been excellent with loaning me data when I'm roaming Eastern Colorado and I feel in return, a good thanks would be a copy of whatever it is I've nabbed this year. Its really a small gesture, and more times than not, they'll throw your name all over the place when they show it out anyway. Normally all I ask in return is they slap my website up someplace and they'll happily accept! Besides, donating a free copy to NWS, assuming it gets shown, will bag you a couple sales you wouldn't have had in the first place!

I'm sending back any checks I recieved from the NWS. I want to come clean of this filth, of my obsession with saving "80 cents". I want to be part of the life saving crew....at no charge...to very office that asks over and over...with the ability to pay for something. I'd be stupid to desire it any other way. All that gas and those bust days certainly never add up to anything that I'd ever try to recover. DOH And most importantly I want to shine to the entire community out there...one of the good guys, ya know?

Code:
They are using it [b]mainly[/b] for educational and scientific purposes (to train spotters and warning decision makers), and so what if they are also [b]entertained[/b]?

LOL Some damn funny arguements for something they could easily pay for(not out of their pockets even!!).

What a nice gesture to give them something in kind.

If I was a NWS met and I COULD pay for a chasers video with any means I would feel bad not doing so. I would feel bad accepting or taking from them. But geee, I'm off my rocker here anyway.

Having new footage every year is not a need, it is a want. A want I have yet to turn down to any NWS office that has asked. I would guess I have sent more free vids to more offices than most on here. But hey I'm worried about "80 cents".

Time to go get out my telescope and explore space for a while. Maybe I'll see my point out there near Pluto.

NWS and storm footage

For the last 4 years I have provided video footage to the Desmoines NWS etc. and have never asked for a $$, they have used some of my footage for storm spotter training classes, always give me credit for my video, have given me a certificate for providing my videos, and always have communicated with me in a respectful, professional manner;and thats all that I ask for. :D

On the only instance I've been asked, I provided a video of a particular event for the NWS without expecting anything in return. I would actually be pleased to give my video away wherever it's useful in scientific, educational, or public safety areas. It actually would make this hobby a bit less selfish in the process.

However, I reserve the right to feel differently if I ever go into the chase video business. I understand that point of view as well.

I feel that maybe my stance on this has been lost in the varying opinions posted since. I'll make it real plain here:

I always give NWSFOs free video of a particular event, just basic raw footage that helps them better understand what was happening. I do this because it's aiding in the furthering of our understanding. A science thing.

I always give spotter training instructors free video, usually a small montage of various events, geared towards the type of material the instructor wants. I do this because this helps train spotters to better recognize/understand severe weather, and possibly save lives. An education thing.

I recently donated some of my best footage ever to a DVD project whose proceeds are going to charity. This is helping people in need somewhere in the world. A humanitarian thing.

I will not give a free copy of my produced DVD to an NWSFO outside of OUN, which is my "home" NWSFO. The previous donations all went to something; science, education, charity.....things that make a difference. My LOVE DVD is in no way designed for education or science use - it's purely for entertainment. Therefore, denying a free copy of this isn't witholding something "valuable," it's trying to preserve my chasing fund - after all that's why I sell videos.

VHS dubs from masters are nothing, that takes however long the footage you're dubbing is to make. No imagonation, no effort. Just the push of a button.

Creating a personal chase DVD, that's something. That's a person's personality, creativity, imagination, passion, vision. I can't speak for everyone, but my chase DVD isn't just about the storms, it's about having an unrivaled passion for something, anything. There's a purposeful concept behind it, and maybe most people won't get it, but it's there. It may not mean much to anyone else, but it means the world to me.

And that's the difference between dubbing an event video, and a production.

Also, if one person gets it free just because they were bold enough to ask, then guess what? Then this guy wants one, then that guy, then her, and before you know it you've got more freebies out there than sales, it's a few weeks till Spring, and you're in the hole from expenses alone, let alone equipment for the actual upcoming chase season. But you are a "stand up guy." A stand up guy who's sitting on his ass missing storms.

If that's the choice, then I'm the biggest a$$hole who ever lived.

Now before you all go judging me for this opinion, let's remember the first three situations where I happily give footage for free. I think it's extremely unfair to look down your nose at a person because they draw a line where on one side, it's great to be generous, but on the other side, they're not going to screw themselves, out of guilt.

Number of times I've given free video to the NWS - 24

Number of times I've used an NWS website or AFD to assist in a chase forecast - 0

If anyone deserves a "payback" video from me, it would be the Storm Prediction Center. In fact, I thank them in the credits.

How about a t-shirt for trade even...

No, that'll be next. "With that free copy of your yearly highlights tape do you by chance have any t-shirts with some of those photos on them?" "Could you send us some cookies along with your video?" "Can you ship another copy to my brother Billy?" "On next year's video could you please explain a little better what is happening?" "I don't suppose you could overnight that to us could you?" "You don't have 5 dollars I could borrow till spring do you?"

Sorry, lol....

I might be a bit biased since my career path will (hopefully) lead me to a WFO somewhere, but I've always been willing to provide raw video or stills to any WFO in or near an event. I know I've learned a lot from spotter talks, and I appreciate the chance to give back. Money has never been a goal of my chases, and I've never really tried to make a buck off of it (although if an opportunity presented itself...), and I'd rather see NWS money go to hiring me than to paying me for my video. After the 4/20/04 tornadoes, Mike Kruze and I offered our video to WFO IND, and they gladly accepted. The MIC himself watched the video with us as it was being captured onto disk, and then showed us the damage survey pictures and talked shop with us for a bit. For me, that was a great experience...I felt like my chasing made a difference to someone besides myself.

Ben

Originally posted by Shane Adams

Number of times I've used an NWS website or AFD to assist in a chase forecast - 0[/i]

Shane, this really suprises me - well - maybe you aren't using local NWS products (SPC is part of the NWS - so you are still using NWS products for your forecast - as well as all of the observations, model output, etc....) for your own chase forecast - but really you never even pay attention to warnings (a local NWS product)? If so you must have one heck of an exclusive information network set up, because you'd be the first I've heard of that could avoid knowing if a storm was warned or not.

Also, while the forecast products from local NWS offices can vary greatly in quality - occasionally they pick up on things that I'll have missed in my forecast preparation - and when I'm chasing unfamiliar territory their local knowledge has sometimes been useful.

Finally, I think your take on sharing video is completely reasonable - the NWS folks have no practical use for production quality video. They need times, exact locations, and view orientation with distance estimates to the features of interest.

Glen

Originally posted by Glen Romine+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Glen Romine)</div>
Shane, this really suprises me - well - maybe you aren't using local NWS products (SPC is part of the NWS - so you are still using NWS products for your forecast - as well as all of the observations, model output, etc....) for your own chase forecast - but really you never even pay attention to warnings (a local NWS product)? If so you must have one heck of an exclusive information network set up, because you'd be the first I've heard of that could avoid knowing if a storm was warned or not.
[/b]

Information obtained once you'e in the target area isn't forecast help. I use spc's outlook page to compare to my own forecast parameters to see how far off base I am, or how in touch I am with a given forecast situation before I leave; any info gained once you're in your target area is icing on the cake. NWSFO forecasts differ greatly, and picking up tidbits along the way doesn't influence my original target decision.

Warnings?? When you're hearing warnings, you're either in your target zone or you f@#$ed up really bad; either way, you've not used the NWS directly as a target source. NWSFO opinions on forecasts are far too subjective and varied for my trust; it's better to plot your own fortune and then compare it to the guys who have the entire country to worry about, as opposed to a 40-50 county area.

Originally posted by Glen Romine@
Also, while the forecast products from local NWS offices can vary greatly in quality - occasionally they pick up on things that I'll have missed in my forecast preparation - and when I'm chasing unfamiliar territory their local knowledge has sometimes been useful.

I think that's great....for you. I never rely on local NWSFO products because, as I've already mentioned, they're too subjective. Look at any big outbreak-potential day this year that both OUN and TUL covers, you'll see what I mean. One will write it off until the 11th hour, the other will sound the sirens the morning of (figuratively speaking, of course)

<!--QuoteBegin-Glen Romine

Finally, I think your take on sharing video is completely reasonable - the NWS folks have no practical use for production quality video. They need times, exact locations, and view orientation with distance estimates to the features of interest.

Exactly. It's not like I'm being an asshole, it's just that I've been around long enough to know the differecne between education and entertainment....and I'm not afraid to draw the line between the two, regardless of the "community" interpertation.

Of course there are people out there who would use my take on this issue to add fuel to their fires that claim I'm too self-absorbed, but most of those people aren't really chasers anyway, so what would they know? When you put more effort into slamming other chasers on your website than you do chasing yourself, that eliminates your opinion from the realm of "what matters."

Regardless of big-name connections

FWITW, if you donate anything to a government entity, and quote them a fair market value for the doantion, they can give you a receipt so you can claim it as a decuction on your taxes.

Back