NOW: 2/2/06 Florida and Surrounding Areas

Interesting weather situation unfolding at the moment across the FL Panhandle. Cell with a pretty good rotational couplet on multiple scan levels heading right for Tallahassee, FL. TVS and MESO have been reasonably consistent. According to pathcast/extrapolation I have it in the Tallahassee area around 345 CST, 445 EST.

TOR out on the cell...here are some snippets...

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHERN FRANKLIN COUNTY IN FLORIDA
SOUTHEAST LIBERTY COUNTY IN FLORIDA
EAST CENTRAL GULF COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA

* UNTIL 400 PM EST(300 PM CST)

* AT 324 PM EST(224 PM CST)...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR
INDICATED A DEVELOPING TORNADO NEAR HOWARD CREEK...OR ABOUT 11
MILES EAST OF PORT ST. JOE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

0130 PM WATER SPOUT 2 S EASTPOINT 29.71N 84.89W
02/02/2006 GMZ755 FL EMERGENCY MNGR

WATERSPOUT IN APALACHICOLA BAY TOOK OUT 5 TRANSMITTER
POLES CUTTING OFF POWER TO SAINT GEORGE ISLAND FOR AN
ESTIMATED 3-4 DAYS.

Unsure but i think the report for that waterspout was from the same cell.

Dangerous weather situation especially with the 0.5º SRM revealing the persistent TVS over several volume scans along with the reasonably compact and strong mesocyclone. Scarily enough, don't need a cross section to see a little bit of a BWER on the southeast side of the storm. Will continue to monitor and post updates...

Interesting taking a look at this now. 0415PM EST scan looks really impressive. Hail spike developed rapidly with a 68 dBZ core at 21400 feet. Don't give a lot of credit to hail algorithms personally but this would fit my warning criteria that I've seen in training...>65 dBZ over the 0ºC height.

Rotation has really broadened out, and its questionable whether or not it will be able to reorganize for near-surface rotation again...especially since effective SRH is falling off with the storm becoming more elevated with time. SPC mesoanalysis indicates that the effective SRH in the near-storm environment is being derived from 300m AGL or higher. Also, it had passed through a concentrated area of surface vorticity when the TOR was out on it but has since moved on. New SVR out on the cell.

Interesting, and alarming thing is a pretty substantial region of +55 knot outbounds (storm inflow) in the storm's eastern quadrant and with time, more inbound pixels have appeared...so I'm monitoring it closely for the possibility of the rotation tightening up again.

Also a TOR out from Mobile, AL office for a public reported tornado.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
LEON COUNTY IN FLORIDA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF TALLAHASSEE

* UNTIL 630 PM EST

* AT 450 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
TORRENTIAL RAIN FROM STRONG THUNDERSTORMS MOVING REPEATEDLY OVER
THE WARNED AREA. A CITY OFFICIAL REPORTED NEAR AN INCH OF RAIN
IN 5 MINUTES.

Oh my!

Originally posted by Jay Press
Dudu, were you talking to youself today!?

Apparently! I am getting excited for the severe season...lotsa views but no contributers. :cry:

:wink: Oh well I'm a resilient person

Originally posted by Alex Lamers+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alex Lamers)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jay Press
Dudu, were you talking to youself today!?

Apparently! I am getting excited for the severe season...lotsa views but no contributers. :cry:

:wink: Oh well I'm a resilient person[/b]

Yeah, I'm getting excited to the season too!!

Back