NORFOLK, VA., FIRST EAST COAST CITY DECLARED TSUNAMIREADY

I can't help but wonder why there isn't more public attention to the issue of a tsunami striking the U.S. coast. According to the link Mike posted, 53% of the nation's population lives in coastal cities. Yet only 26 coastal towns are considered Tsunamiready, Norfolk apparently being the largest. Considering that tsunamis have more potential for widespread destruction than almost any other natural disaster, are we doing enough to educate the public about them? I haven't seen any major news network discuss the possibility of a U.S. tsunami (maybe I missed it?). So what do you guys think? Is the U.S. ready for a tsunami, or would we have unacceptably high death tolls like those of 2004?

"I can't help but wonder why there isn't more public attention to the issue of a tsunami striking the U.S. coast."

While it is a risk - it is a real risk? When was the last notable tsunami on the East Coast?

Originally posted by rdale
"I can't help but wonder why there isn't more public attention to the issue of a tsunami striking the U.S. coast."

While it is a risk - it is a real risk? When was the last notable tsunami on the East Coast?

Yeah, I think that's the reason why folks aren't too concerned about it. It's always good to be ready, but I don't think the threat is sufficient enough to grab many people's attention. Has there ever (in recent history at least) been a large tsunami on the east coast? I vote we get more coastal communities prepared for hurricanes (which are going to make landfall every year) first...

Then again -- millions of homeland security dollars are going to towns of 5000 people or less to protect them from bioterrorist attacks and mass casualties, so maybe tsunami-readiness isn't too far off the beaten path!

This is an interesting topic post Sumatra. From what I've researched, the only threat of a Tsunami in the Atlantic basic would be from the prospects of a volcanic core collapse and resulting land slide on an island in the Azores if I recall. The numerical simulations showed that there would be little we could do with a 500-1000 foot wall of water rolling across the Atlantic. I think National Georgraphic or Discovery channel did a special on this theory, titled Mega Tsunami.

Evan

Originally posted by Evan Bookbinder
This is an interesting topic post Sumatra. From what I've researched, the only threat of a Tsunami in the Atlantic basic would be from the prospects of a volcanic core collapse and resulting land slide on an island in the Azores if I recall. The numerical simulations showed that there would be little we could do with a 500-1000 foot wall of water rolling across the Atlantic. I think National Georgraphic or Discovery channel did a special on this theory, titled Mega Tsunami.

Evan

I was going to mention this but couldn't remember the island - but yep, I heard the same thing. Wonder how far inland you'd have to go east coast to get away from a 1000ft tsunami?

Alternatively I think the west coast tsunami prep makes much more sense. Geologically speaking they have had a very large tsunami there back about 1000 years, and I think some other seismic events have produced some small results. But since the west coast is situated along the 'ring of fire' it's are realistic target. I believe I saw a show where Portland or Seattle school kids go through tsunami warning drills and have to march to higher ground.

How can a city be ready for a 1000 foot tsunami? They're all ready to evacuate into the Appalachians with only a few hours warning?

Originally posted by Evan Bookbinder
From what I've researched, the only threat of a Tsunami in the Atlantic basic would be from the prospects of a volcanic core collapse and resulting land slide on an island in the Azores if I recall.
There is also tsunami risk from underwater quakes/slides originating from the Carribean Island chain. There is volcanic and seismic activity there.

And then there was the 18 foot rogue wave that hit Daytona Beach back on July 3, 1992. Google it for more details and speculation.

True, there are no mega-thrust faults in the Atlantic. That's the type of fault that triggered the 2004 tsunami. Its also the type of fault located off the Pacific NW coast. The biggest threat would be an under sea landslide, either in the mid-Atlantic ridge or in the Azores.

I think its cute that Norfolk, VA is tsunami-ready. Although, its going to be hard to keep people on the alert for what is proably a 1 in 10,000 year event. The 2004 tsunami is more likely a 1 in 100 year event, maybe 1 in 200 years, now that's a real threat. With that said, I still think about tsunamis when I am on vacation on the Jersey Shore. It doesn't keep me up at night, but I've thought about it.

The key is, if you feel ground shaking (aka an earthquake) and you are on the coast, you need to move to higher ground. a tsunami warning wont likely reach you in time.

Now, the prospect of a 1,000 foot tsunami? The good science would tell you its extreme speculation. Just becuase one model predicts it doesn't make it good science, just good tv. Even if there was a 1,000 foot wave that doesn't mean you need to get to a 1,001 foot mountain in the Appalachians. The interaction with 150 miles of Piedmont would be very disruptive to the wave, so sleep easy on that one.

Back