No more analog cell in western KS?

I just recently discovered on a local chase last week in western Kansas that my old cell modem setup with the archaic Nokia 5165 + ositech modem no longer works.... ANYWHERE from Dodge City to Garden to Scott City all the way to Nebraska border near Phillipsburg (except ONCE right along I-70).

I use Unicel, which is formerly Cellular One, but I believe that what has happened is that most of the archaic analog network has been discontinued with an upgrade to Digital GSM or something. Whatever has happened in the last couple of weeks, I can no longer make an analog data call anywhere in Western Kansas, when I used to have a very good analog data (albeit very, very slow!) coverage.

I think now is the time for me to seriously upgrade... We only have two providers in western Kansas, Unicel and Alltel. Researching Unicel, they have an ever-expanding GSM network, which now would include a lot of western Kansas I am assuming. Cingular customers I believe roam on Unicel in western Kansas, so Cingular digital coverage I guess is now very good out here? I'll see what I can find out.. but looks to me like all digital in western kansas now with zero analog services..

Mike U

Hey sorry to tell you, but I think the FCC is getting rid of all analog cell phone communications. It's suppose to be gone by some time in 2006/2007 I think? Maybe someone can verify the date. It's kinda stupid because some locations that I have to go to that's the only signal you get.

Even if there is analog coverage, I am finding less and less new phones that have analog ability. None of the really new high end phones have analong (at least for Verizon).

Bill Hark

Analog is FINALLY going away.

This is FANTASTIC news! Getting data from an analog phone is like sticking your hand in a running blender....very painful.

RIP Analog!

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Samaras
Analog is FINALLY going away.

This is FANTASTIC news! Getting data from an analog phone is like sticking your hand in a running blender....very painful.

RIP Analog!

Tim

Well, not entirely like sticking your hand in a blender. Blenders are pretty fast.

Digital GSM, Cingular, with Bluetooth is the best data system out there. Fast connections -- allowing full use of the Inernet. Some areas are limited, but as analog is phased out, GSM is going on line. Chased from ABQ to DDC in May and had a full, fast connection the entire way!

Mike

analog connections

...I use Verizon (since I live in VA...it offers the best coverage around home), and while coverage isn't great in the Southern Plains, it seems pretty good KS northbound...at least through this past May.

I still use an older Motorola v120e phone (from 2002) with an Ositech card. Digital connections are no prob, BUT, I've found that I CAN connect in analog mode just about anywhere (even Yuma County Colorado)...with a trick: with the older phones, you can "force" the phone in "analog only" mode in the phone's network setting, which is good for 1 call, and connect successfully. This works when a typical connection routine with the Ositech card often fails to go through. This is why I'm still hanging on to my older phone. -Dave

Back