No December Snow?

For the first time since records have been kept (106 years), Lincoln, NE recorded NO snowfall during the month of December:

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/december...ow-drought.html

I haven't checked yet, but I suspect the same holds true for Omaha. Kind of strange when you consider how much snow other parts of the country (including locations that usually see very little snowfall per year) recieved in December.

Kansas City has the same too! We haven't had any snow since the November 24th 6.5" Storm, looks like we have some in the horizon for the first of the year, maybe more of a freezing rain event.

It's a good thing Nebraski shut down when they did. I think they use it for paintball now. If the pattern keeps up like it has the past few winters, I may actually become a believer in global warming because we sure don't seem to get hard winters like we used to get. Just ask someone who lived in Omaha in the 70's. To think that people actually used to buy snowmobiles here and be able to use them! Of course my feelings will change after next week.

Originally posted by Steve Peterson
It's a good thing Nebraski shut down when they did. I think they use it for paintball now. If the pattern keeps up like it has the past few winters, I may actually become a believer in global warming because we sure don't seem to get hard winters like we used to get. Just ask someone who lived in Omaha in the 70's. To think that people actually used to buy snowmobiles here and be able to use them! Of course my feelings will change after next week.

Not to stray too far from topic, but global warming would actually decrease temperatures for our region (Midwest/northern Plains). The Gulf Stream would become diluted and ultimately would lower the temperatures across the mid latitudes. I just seen a special on it on the History Channel...

Originally posted by rdewey
I just seen a special on it on the History Channel...

Did you stay at the Holiday Inn too? :D

Sorry about that, lol, couldn't help myself, but if your science is based on a History Channel special I have got to question your science, especially after watching some of the stuff those shows have put out on chasing. And yes, I know what you are talking about when it comes to the global warming theories. One of the earliest and most interesting theories I read back in school (must have been about 96) was from Sherwood Idso which basically said that increased pollution would actually result in global cooling and a possible ice age. I think that one is still a pretty big controversy around the science community. But I digress!

Needless to say, the winters have been more mild lately and I am sure not complaining. Hope we didn't open up a can of worms on global warming Robert, hehe.

Originally posted by Steve Peterson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Peterson)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey
I just seen a special on it on the History Channel...

Did you stay at the Holiday Inn too? :D

...[/b]

I knew I set myself up for that one, I was thinking it as I typed the "History Channel" part. I originally heard about the theory from a ST member in one of the "Global Warming" threads... Can't remember if it was Glen Romine or Greg (or someone else for that matter)...

I think we've had two or three inches total so far for the season here, but that was with multiple tiny snows. So far no snow in sight. We're under a winter storm watch for saturday for potential ice, but I think that's laughable at this point. I see us getting zero ice.

I traded my mustang in and bought a 4X4 truck recently. I haven't even really had a chance to try out my four wheel drive lol.

Don't tell the residents of Brownsville, Corpus Christi, and Victoria TX that we're in the middle of global warming... as they just experienced the most snow since records have been kept... and on Christmas eve, no less.

IMHO, global warming is a little more hyped than it should be. Sure, some of the permafrost is melting in northern Alaska... but there are known decadal and interdecadal climate cycles that are responsible for this as well. US climate records are not nearly as good as some of the 400 year records that have been kept in Europe, where consistent temperature measurements have been kept at stations that have not moved or changed instruments (from glass thermometers). Their records across the big pond do not show such a pronouced warmup the past 10 to 20 years as climate records have in the US. This leads one to wonder just how much of a systematic bias we have in the states... as instruments have changed and climate stations keep moving.

Most of Siberia continues, year after year, to have winter temperatures in the -40 to -60F range. Global warming is just that: GLOBAL warming. Not regional warming. All of our personal observations the past 10 to 20 years have such a regional bias, which is likely only due to typical decadal/interdecadal climate fluctuations that may have little influence from humans than one might think.... I dunno, I've never been a huge global warming advocate...

Mike U

Back