Nikon D70-50

Don't wait for the order to be shipped. It probably won't. You'll get a call in a few days saying the item is backordered for weeks. If it does ship, your camera won't have batteries, chargers and other essential parts. I'd cancel it now and save time and hassle. Waiting will make it harder to recover any money that is lost.

I've never been through this personally but have seen it happen before to others. Just reading the resellerratings.com entries, in the end not one person got the correct equipment at the advertised price. It's not going to be any different for your order.

The few hundred dollars extra for going through a B&H-caliber store is worth it. It's only October, chase season is far enough away - there's plenty of time to save up and get the legit deal.

I've always wondered how these companies can stay in business in the USA without getting taken down by the Feds the first week. Unbelievable.

I'd cancel the order ASAP. Don't wait.

OH Jesus H. Christ! Well that's just f***ing great. :evil: I tried to get a digital rebel a while back from a different company, which wound up being a "gray market" scam. I did a background check and couldn't find anything horrible about them so I thought it was safe. My mom called them yesterday and they tried to hustle her into buying more stuff, but she put her foot down and said no way so they reluctantly agreed to process the order. If my camera doesn't show up I'm going to first call the BBB and report them. Then I'm buying a plane ticket to New Jersey to bash some Mafia heads together. :twisted:
I hate the f***ing Mafia. They're nothing but dirty useless greasy no good sons of bitches who live the high life they don't deserve by f***ing everybody else up the ass and expecting you to thank them for the privilege.
Why can nothing ever be simple???
Now I'm not so sure I'll even be able to get a camera. My folks can't afford to spend a few hundred more bucks. Damn it to hell!
:cry:

Yeah, do not wait for it to be shipped man, probably it isn't a good idea. Someone should have called the BBB a LONG time ago, if they already haven't. Don't get too worried Mark, there are other plenty of good prices, none that low, however, because that price was fictional, and not real.

OH Jesus H. Christ! Well that's just f***ing great. :evil: I tried to get a digital rebel a while back from a different company, which wound up being a "gray market" scam. I did a background check and couldn't find anything horrible about them so I thought it was safe. My mom called them yesterday and they tried to hustle her into buying more stuff, but she put her foot down and said no way so they reluctantly agreed to process the order.

Erm... no, she didn't accopmlish anything.

They won't ship the camera, or anything else, althought they may well go ahead and bill the card anyway.

Althought it's probably too late, you should CALL THE CC COMPANY NOW. Tell them to reject ANY charge from N.Y.

If my camera doesn't show up I'm going to first call the BBB and report them.... Now I'm not so sure I'll even be able to get a camera. My folks can't afford to spend a few hundred more bucks. Damn it to hell!
:cry:

Back up a bit and get a basic body, 50 or 35mm lens, (or the cheapo kit lens) and a few gig of memory. You can save for a superzoom somewhere down the road, and probably buy a decent (~$100) tripod in the meantime.

Another option would be to get a "lowly" film body and a few nice lenses. You can learn a heck of a lot shooting slides on a $150 (new) body. For $300 you can get a very capable, somewhat more robust, Canon Elan7, or N75 series camera. (Not that Pentax, et. al. at junk (not at all!), but I'm assuming you'll want to migrate to a N or C DSLR sooner or later.)

The DSLR ($650+) and several Uberzooms (N x $450) recipe produces a nice kit, but isn't the only way to take pictures!

-Greg

Thank you for giving me the heads up on this, guys! I'm never going to use shopcartusa.com ever again to find anything. Period! This was the site I used to find the Digital Rebel and the D70-S, and apparently they are just a Mafia price grabber that directs you to all the Mafia camera/electronics shops.
Greg, you suggested
Another option would be to get a "lowly" film body and a few nice lenses. You can learn a heck of a lot shooting slides on a $150 (new) body. For $300 you can get a very capable, somewhat more robust, Canon Elan7, or N75 series camera.
But the whole reason my parents are getting me this camera in the first place is to avoid film developing costs because it is so expensive nowadays and with the number of pictures I take I would drain my savings in a couple of months! The whole purpose of a DSLR is to eliminate the waiting factor and the film processing factor.
We're calling the credit card company and then expresscameras.com on Monday and cancelling the order. If the Mafia wops get ugly with me and won't cancel it maybe threatning them with a lawsuit will change their tune. :twisted: If theyt ry to pull any crap I'm going to tell them where and how far to shove it. :twisted:

Also...probably not a good idea to say your going to NJ to bash some mafia heads in. I'm from Jersey and it's not a smart thing to say publicly...even if you're kidding. I've seen some strange things happen!!

Anyway, if you don't get reimbursed, call them again, ask to speak to the manager and tell them they have 24 hours from right now to cancel the order AND reimburse the credit card. If it's not done, your attorney will move forward with the lawsuit you are preparing and you will go forward with your complaint to the attorney general's office yesterday. Follow this phone call with a faxed letter on letterhead to their fax number stating the above. Make the last line read "Further complaints and/or legal action will be initiated without any further notice to you". Sincerely, (your name).

Good luck.

Also...probably not a good idea to say your going to NJ to bash some mafia heads in. I'm from Jersey and it's not a smart thing to say publicly...even if you're kidding. I've seen some strange things happen!!

I'm sure they would just sign him up for the "protection package" for a small monthly fee :lol: :wink:

The mob even extends over here near Detroit, and it's not only the Italians. In fact, we have quite a problem with the "Albanian Mafia" - there were two different shootings by my house not too long ago. An Albanian guy shot someone who was "checking out" his girlfriend... And another event which occured inside of an Albanian Catholic Church (family rivalry).

There was also a waterpark named "Four Bears", which was operated by four Italian brothers. The other two brothers "disappeared" (one was shot execution style in a parking lot), and the remaining two kept the business (obviously, the killer was never found). They just sold it off and are now building a subdivision on the plot... So the mafia does work in odd ways.

Back to the topic though, LOL... I have to agree with Andrew, I don't really think this is the mob at work. The mob operates a bit more "stealthily", and wouldn't do something as foolish as this. They would probably be more into operating a cocaine stand out of the back of their "fish delivery truck", or running a legitimate business and embezzling money from share holders (i.e. true white collar crime).

La Cosa Nostra is known more now for operating garbage hauling illegally and fixing/embezelling contracts for big construction companies and unions. If you read the NY Post, it is full of interesting stuff every so often. It seems as though stuffing salmon with x is too risky and a thing of the past.

Back