New to Ham Radio

I have been using two Motorola commercial radios, a pair of XTS3000 portables with RF adapters. It allows me to use 2 XTVA mobile converter units with handheld control heads, which is a huge space-saver in my car. Both are fed into a diplexer, to a single dual-band antenna. The down-side is that there's no VFO on commercial radios at all. They have to be programmed before heading out with all the channels you think you might need. I have the software and cables for them, so that's not a problem for me, but if you go further than you intended to go, it could be a very big problem if you don't have your programming kit with you.

My car also has a digital trunking scanner on the dash, and a remote-mount CB radio. It's perfect for pulling information from public safety agencies while you're out, as well as hearing the truckers on CB19. The truckers will let you know something's up locally before any SAME tones ever hit the NOAA radio, as they are very attuned to what the weather is doing. Really bad weather? Trucks don't roll. Trucks don't roll? Money not made.

I've been considering an Icom IC-2730 though.

Back