New Texas Rest Stop WIFI

According to the Sept 2004 issue of Highways Magazine the Texas Dept. of Transportation (TxDOT) is in the process of putting in FREE WIFI at 84 rest areas and 12 travel information centers in Texas. They don't say when this will be done but they've already installed it experimentally at one rest stop along US 287 in Donley county and two in Hardeman county in the Panhandle area.This should be a blessing hopefully for chasers in the future if it works good - it would be nice if Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa would follow suit !

Jon Miller

Iowa does have a plan for WiFi at rest-stops! In fact, I stopped at one last time I was in IA and, sure enough, they had FREE WiFI! It's definately a good thing! C'Mon OK!

According to the Sept 2004 issue of Highways Magazine the Texas Dept. of Transportation (TxDOT) is in the process of putting in FREE WIFI at 84 rest areas and 12 travel information centers in Texas. They don't say when this will be done but they've already installed it experimentally at one rest stop along US 287 in Donley county and two in Hardeman county in the Panhandle area.This should be a blessing hopefully for chasers in the future if it works good - it would be nice if Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa would follow suit !

Jon Miller
There's a bit of a catch - doesn't look like it's completely free (depends on usage and amount of time). Here are the details:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotnews/042-2004.htm

Free for 2 hours; that's not so bad.. and add to that that it costs about the same as a Truckstop.net cost.. well worth it, if you ask me.. even 3.99 for 24 hours.. I'd pay it, as I already do!

I don't offhand think there's any easy way for them to prevent someone for signing up as different users for multiple free two-hour increments unless they require a prior credit card authorization, which makes me wonder whether the two-hour limit will be per-connection.

Back