New spotter setting up SN App

Shaun R.

Enthusiast
I'm a new spotter in my area of Northeastern Ohio. I've attended a NWS Training Session, as well as pass the 3 quiz through the Comet MetED site. I registered on the Spotter Network and downloaded the SN windows app; but nothing is working. My spotter profile on SN still says I am untested, and cannot report. The App, won't go online, and I am hoping its temporary. I saw the field were it required an ID number, so I entered my SN ID. My local WFO doesn't supply ID cards or numbers anymore. I have spoke to a few people I know in the emergency field, and they stated I would have to show a photo ID branded with Sykwarn, in special situations. I plan to buy an ID from the Skywarn link to Allthingsweather Store, just in case, when I order my Anemometer. Can anyone offer any insight to these two situations (SN Untested issue, SN App Not Connected). Thanks.

In order to report via Spotter Network you have to pass the test on the Spotter Network website. Spotter Network has nothing to do with MetEd or any other test/quiz. Don't waste your money on an ID card. I can't think of any case where you would be asked to show a spotter id card and if you where and show one from a online store it would not be considered valid by anyone in the know (it might get you past a road block if the officer working the road block was very gullible, but even if you had a real id issued by a government emergency management (EM) agency it still might not get you thru). I have a ID issued by a local cities EM office, and I've not once been asked to show it outside of walking into city facilities. Honestly, if I used it while out chasing/spotting and the EM found out about it they would revoke it as misuse of that ID.

Interesting. I was urged to have some form of ID with my photo and the skywarn branding. If I was stopped for being parked on the side of the road for observing a storm. Might have been someone being overly anal then or completely bogus. Thanks for clarification.
Do you have any idea how to setup the sn app for Windows?

You didn't ask this, and it wasn't brought up, but I am bringing it up because it might end up being useful information to you or someone else:

If you are using GPS to map your position on a PC radar software program (such as GRL3) and then want to also send your position to SN you have to split the GPS data using a GPSgate splitter. At least, that's how I've done it for many years. Make sure you download (just) the splitter and not some other (large) GPSgate software. It is free in most cases.

I only downloaded the SN App, so far. But I was having issues getting it to connect. I tried manual and gps on the switch. But continually came up Not Connected, even after "Connecting....". Ill make sure I download that gpsgate.

I don't use the SN Windows App, so I can't help. As for the ID - here in North Texas they always say at Skywarn training being a spotter doesn't give you any special privileges when it comes to law enforcement. They typically make a joke about showing your Skywarn certificate to the police and see how far that gets you. I will note that in many places being parked off to the side of the road isn't illegal, but if you ever get approached by an officer saying it is - that is not the time to debate the subject - it's best just to say OK officer I'll move along then. I will say that once I was on the top floor of a parking garage when law enforcement can by to run folks off and they took one look at my small Skywarn magnet - given me a wave - and passed me by to tell the other 2 cars to leave. It can work the other way also, as some LE don't have high opinions of chaser/spotters.

Well, you definitely need to take and pass the SN exam first. Only after you do that and get connected to SN is there any need for the GPSgate.

In the Windows App you'll either need to enter manual static coordinates, or attach a GPS, in which case GPSgate can help. Until then though, complete the training and then the app setup is dependent on how you want to use it.

I'm a new spotter in my area of Northeastern Ohio. I've attended a NWS Training Session, as well as pass the 3 quiz through the Comet MetED site. I registered on the Spotter Network and downloaded the SN windows app; but nothing is working. My spotter profile on SN still says I am untested, and cannot report. The App, won't go online, and I am hoping its temporary. I saw the field were it required an ID number, so I entered my SN ID. My local WFO doesn't supply ID cards or numbers anymore. I have spoke to a few people I know in the emergency field, and they stated I would have to show a photo ID branded with Sykwarn, in special situations. I plan to buy an ID from the Skywarn link to Allthingsweather Store, just in case, when I order my Anemometer. Can anyone offer any insight to these two situations (SN Untested issue, SN App Not Connected). Thanks.
Skywarn no longer issues id’s

It's important to note that "Skywarn" is a local program administered by each independent NWS office. This is both good and bad as it allows for geographically specific variation on reporting criteria but also bad in that there is only a small amount of consistency across the country. For example, in the Upper Midwest, I think all NWS offices have now stopped issuing spotter ID's as a time saving method. Local Skywarn organizations may have their own ID's though.

My "local" NWS in Lincoln, IL no longer issues the spotter ID's. They told me they were a big problem to keep up with and catalog, and hardly anyone used them.

Back