A Spotter Network revolution?

Having played around with the Spotter Network application a bit, I'm beginning to wonder -- are we starting to see a revolution in the way spotting and spotter reporting is done? That is, traditionally, you have local groups going out to assigned locations, reporting via radio, and having those reports repeater-relayed over to the NWS. The Spotter Network client (combined with the recent rollout of mobile internets tubes) alows people to file instant geolocated spotter reports to the NWS electronically, and one need not be a member of a group or a club or a network of spotters to do it. Local spotters can move around and still give very accurate location-based info. Chasers actually now have a very simple 15-seconds-of-my-time way to file storm reports in the field -- and this can only be a good thing, as chasers don't sit around in one spot waiting for a storm to blow overhead, they actively seek out and pursue them, which makes them much more valuable reporters. The Spotter ID allows the offices to recognize certain individuals (as, presumably, there needs to be a way to evaluate credibility). SN seems like the first really revolutionary piece of software to come out of the chase community. (Well, maybe the second --GRLevelX almost counts, as it's totally changed the way a lot of people chase.) Honestly, I wonder whether four or five years from now, spotting will be done almost exclusively via SN-type software, with reports filed electronically and displayed instantly on a map.

It could be, Ryan.

I’ve used it the past two days. Yesterday I was getting out of range of the net I was on, and instead of searching around for another net it dawned on me that I could send in a report directly.

The only caveat is that you would be relying on the integrity of the cell sites.

EDIT: There's an APRS option that I've not really looked into.

As nationwide wireless internet access increases we will definitely see a shift in the way severe weather reporting is done. I forsee even the local spotter groups and law enforcement moving to systems similar to Spotter Network. Its only a matter of time before we have nationwide wireless broadband, and when that happens our computers (and those embedded in mobile devices) are going to take over. VoIP with GPS will dominate over HAM/APRS radio. Internet reports will edge out phone reports as well. I imagine you'll be able to snap a picture on your phone and send it directly to an NWS computer with a timestamp. GPS location, and a voice note.

I agree a reporting revolution is only a few years away, which is a wonderful thing for the public (and a fun thing for the techno geek chasers). I also see a lot of salty old HAMs/spotters kicking and screaming their way into the 21st century, because it's quite possible real-time spotter reports via radio networks could be knocked down to 2nd or even 3rd fiddle methodology. We're always gonna have infighting between the various severe weather interests, because we're human beings and we're just stupid as a whole....but one of the positive effects of that will be an exponentially-growing ability to produce real-time reports and warnings. It should be a fun era to live/chase through.

It seems quite likely some of David Hoadley's Funnel Funnies' future scenarios could become truth.

I agree...

I agree with all of you.

We use eSpotter and Spotter Network to submit many reports. The nice thing about this is that other Spotters also get the information passed along instantly on SpotterNetwork.org and on GRLevelX overlays. It helps promote accountability, safety, and can be quicker than calling in or "haming" in the reports.

We originally developed our live ChaseCam for the exclusive use of our local NWS office and local TV affiliate, so they could see real time conditions in the field. I feel this brings credibility to our reporting. Multiple NWS offices have watched our feed while we were in the field this year and have issued tornado warnings based on our reports, and our live video feed.

I am sure it is only a matter of time before others start feeding video also. This will be a great thing, as we will get more accurate reporting to the NWS offices.

Look how far we have come in the last 50 years. Injuries and deaths are significantly down in the last 25 years because of better collaboration and reporting. With the EAS system moving into the 21st century with IP based forwarding, and a new nationwide all digital alert network being built in a few years, the public will be more informed than ever.

Expert storm chasers will be able to be in the field, completely connected anywhere in the country, helping protect the general public.

I also agree this will lead to the slow death of Ham Radio, local spotter groups, etc. As we have seen large convergences of storm chasers on multiple storms in the nation, the local spotter is being left out. The role is becoming a limited one due to the number of expert chasers who will go all over the country to chase and report. However, I do feel it is vital to have a larger spotting (not chasing) community to provide accurate reports of all severe weather, not just tornadic activity.

So, to wrap this up, I agree that technology is pushing the chasing community forward, and mostly for the better. 10 years ago, I relied on watching my local tv affiliate, calling the radio station for a 30 minute old radar update on the DTN, or just watching the clouds to guide my chasing. Now, GRLevelX and SpotterNetwork are my favorite and most used tools. They have made me a more effective and reliable chaser.

Here's to the Future!

Last edited by a moderator:
are we starting to see a revolution in the way spotting and spotter reporting is done?

Fast Answer: Yes.

I've worked with Spotter operations for more than 10 years, working at a county level while in college and now coordinating operations at MPX. The simple answer to this is yes, yes, yes. One example is the use by NSSL-SHAVE this spring. Is it early in the evolution? Yes. Potential? Huge. See an LSR actually plot where the report was made from? Priceless.

I think one of the most interesting things to see will be once the two-way communication feature has been added. This will allow the NWS to put out a call to chasers in the area that they are interested in reports and to specifically ping for more information.

This, along with just knowing which storms are being watched is priceless.

See an LSR actually plot where the report was made from? Priceless.

Kind of sad that most NWS offices are still not set up to plot the LSR over (or even near) the location of the actual report... So many still use the center of the nearest city - I'm not asking for the third decimal place in lat/long, but at least within a miles or two.

And TIME -- LSR reports should be the time (estimated if needed) of the event happening, not the time it was entered into the system. Can't tell you how often I still see that one.

This has probably happened all along, but until GRLx software enabled the plotting we never had reason to notice.

Back