New found Image from June 9, 2005

A lot of times people mis-use the term "wedge", on purpose, to give a higher excitement to the image, or video in question. I don't agree with this at all. I think facts hsould be reported as FACTS, and that's the duty.

Since most of us seem to be filming this tornado durring the same time frame, I thought it might be intresting if we post are locations during this event. To the best of my knowledge the footage I have is somewhere near where I drew in a line on that map. I was headed south at the time.
map.jpg

P.S. to the best of my knowledge this is correct...

Originally posted by Greg Stumpf+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greg Stumpf)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo
A cap of the tornado (2nd) when it wedge'd out:

Not to nit-pick, but I've seen and heard too much misuse of the term wedge. A wedge tornado is one that is visually wider (at the ground) than it is tall (with minimal obstructions to horizon). In this case, this is not a wedge. To illustrate - the cyan line is the widthof the tornado at the ground, and the magenta line the height of the tornado from ground to cloud base. I believe I was quite liberal on the width of the tornado at the ground (remove some horizon effects), and the tornado probably enters the cloud base in the foreground of the base "horizon", making it actually taller. Add foreshortening to that, and it is more likely that the width of the tornado is about 1/2 (or less) the distance from ground to cloud base.

notwedge.png
[/b]

Yes Greg this was mentioned even on the chase as we were watching this tornado. Its on my video.

some one said that it was a wedge when i myself was corrected a few chases before this event about the term and its definition. So Istated "thats not a wedge its a Cone Tornado."

Heres the clip im talking about:
http://midwestchasers.com/blog/Movie_0001.wmv
its about 1 MB

Robert all i remember is heading back north twoards Stockton but we probably turned on to a dirt road just before your southern portion of your route.

I finally have begun transferring some of my 2005 Hi8 analog to digital. Here are a couple of vidcaps from the Damar/Palco tornadoes of 9 Jun 2005. Not sure what road I was on, but I was approaching the tornadoes from the South. Time is from ~5:31-5:38CDT.

9Jun2005_1731CST_1sm.png

9Jun2005_1734CST_2sm.png

9Jun2005_1735CST_1sm.png

9Jun2005_1736CST_1sm.png

9Jun2005_1736CST_2sm.png

I believe the 2nd tornado evolved into the Stockton tornado, but somehow, I lost the storm shortly after this. Have video of the Hill City tornado, also, although contrast is poor on that one.

TonyC

These are great pictures, everybody. I was given the chance to produce the June 9th chapter of the Storms of 2005 DVD and some of the coolest tornado and structure footage I've ever seen comes from that Hill City storm alone. The chapter includes work from MikeH, Scott Blair, David Hoadley, Bobby Prentice, Robin Tanamachi, Eric Nguyen, Bill Reid, and myself. Dan Robinson also sent great imagery but unfortunately I wasn't able to incorporate it in time.

Every tornado from Hill City to Stockton is inlcluded from nearly every angle. I don't want to make this sound like an ad for the DVD (I know it does), but I think for people with a particular interest in this event, the DVD would be very entertaining and informative.

That's a cool alternate angle of the lightning flash, Dave. Nice. I never get to see my lightning because my (borrowed) analog cam will not freeze frame cleanly. Hopefully will be upgrading to digital vid for 2006.

I'll be ordering the DVD soon. June 9th was my first big tornado day in the Plains. Quite exciting for someone who has fruitlessly chased the foothills of the Appalachians for 10 years. So many things happened that day, that in retrospect, I'm not quite sure how it all unfolded. Look forward to seeing some other prespectives of these tornadoes.

Good stuff, all,
TonyC

Back