New "Entry level" Pentax K-x offers a HECK-of-a-lot including video

The just-announced Pentax K-x is apparently the replacement for the K200D with improvements in almost all areas (except weather-sealing, which is unfortunate IMHO). Body & kit lens are priced at $649 and ships in Oct. (This is $150 less than the fairly comparable Canon T1i).

Widescreen HD movie recording at 1280×720 pixels at a cinematic 24 frames per second (720p24)
The PENTAX K-x movie recording function*1 captures true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 24 frames per second. Compatible with every PENTAX interchangeable lens ever made, the Video Capture mode opens a new world of creativity for PENTAX K-x owners.

I'd have to consider this strongly as a 2nd body some day, as it would give me HD video capabilities (with the biggest range of lenses available in the world) and much better FPS than I have right now (not that I've really missed that yet) for really very low dollar output.

The release mentions "Special Edition" colors of red and navy in the U.S. but that is nothing compared to the color/color combos that will be available in Japan. (you might want to wear welder's goggles before clicking that last link).

Honestly, if you are an old school photographer (not afraid of non-autofocus lenses) and ready to jump into the DSLR world, you really should consider the Pentax line. The ability to use "old" K-mount and even M42 lenses (with adapter) is a really inexpensive way to get a nice array of lenses to use with your DSLR without selling a kidney. I've already gotten a 50mm f/1.7 (reputed to be the sharpest Pentax lens ever), a 50mm S-M-C Takumar Macro 50mm f/4 and a Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 for a total outlay of $90 (including shipping). I was gifted a nice Tokina 80-200mm f/4.5 and I'm hoping to get a Tamron 60-300mm 3.8-5.4 in the near future that will give me up to a 450mm telephoto equiv. That can probably be had for around $50, if not less. The only auto-focus lens I have is the kit lens, though I'm saving my nickels for an ultra-wide zoom by next spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back