Narrow banding required by 1/1/2013

I'm curious about the business comm restrictions. It seems to me that it would be illegal to use the amateur radio bands (e.g. 146.55) to coordinate commercial chase tour vans around a storm, but legal if you're coordinating college tour vans around the same storm.

True?

Tim Balassie (KC9JIB)
Kane Co, IL

True if someone is conducting for-profit business and uses ham radio to make it happen. A college group out for educational purposes, non-profit would not fall under such restrictions. For profit entities can get their own private business freqs. or use FRS, MURS and some license-free GMRS channels and be just fine legally.
The key to this restriction is the use of ham radio to facilitate profitable business dealings.. you can't pay someone, be paid or compel an employee to use the amateur bands for business dealings.

I just chuckled at the thought:

But chasers rarely make a profit....so does it still count....:D

True if someone is conducting for-profit business and uses ham radio to make it happen. A college group out for educational purposes, non-profit would not fall under such restrictions. .

You have to be careful if your a college group. College students can do it with no problems since they're not being paid. But if they are an employee of the university, it would be in violation of the rule, since they are being paid.

I think the main thing to think of is the wording that if you can do it well on another band, you should do it there - ie use a CB or family band. I'd presume most colleges have business band type radios available that would make HAM use not the best way to handle communication. Of course, I just got my license, so I might be a little fuzzy.

I would also think that if you're coordinating position with other chasers that you're not employed with, that's a safety issue (though if you're all in business together, coordinating like TVN per say, business band would probably be better). If you're coordinating the sale of video, that's a pretty obvious violation.

I think the main thing to think of is the wording that if you can do it well on another band, you should do it there - ie use a CB or family band. I'd presume most colleges have business band type radios available that would make HAM use not the best way to handle communication. Of course, I just got my license, so I might be a little fuzzy.

I would also think that if you're coordinating position with other chasers that you're not employed with, that's a safety issue (though if you're all in business together, coordinating like TVN per say, business band would probably be better). If you're coordinating the sale of video, that's a pretty obvious violation.

No, you've got the right idea. But I doubt universities would allow students to use their frequencies. Most student groups use ham radio. Since it's usually used between students, it doesn't violate the rules. Ham radio is the best option because a lot of people have their license, it's frequency agile, and skywarn nets are on the ham bands.

I don't think anyone is coordinating the sale of video on ham bands. Last I checked, the CNN news desk doesn't have an HF rig.

Back