My Silly Project: The Paxtonmobile

There are programs that can download YouTube videos. I think you can just split off the audio file by using a video editor and saving as an audio file. Then just open it in the program Audacity. Clip, copy and paste, and you are done. I have done something like that before to get audio from a video.

I have the movie on my computer, I'll have to see if I can isolate the siren itself.

Someone got me on a lead of 90's-era cop sirens, and a couple have come pretty close. Now to find one that's close enough, barring that, looping-mp3-from-movie time!

Cool news, my truck will be used by the Alamo Drafthouse here in KC as promotional material for their "Twister Experience." Pretty excited about that as well.

Welding on the frame starts Tuesday, I have the red spinning lights on order, I have the Dorothy and college seal symbols isolated and ready to be made into weatherproof stickers, all that remains is figuring out the text dimensions and all the various gizmos that will go onto Dorothy.

For the anemometers, I'm thinking about using these: http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/06410.jpg that's literally the only one I can find that's close to the one used in the movie. I'll figure something else out to mock up the UV detectors.

Moving along slowly!

Dude, this is a freaking awesome project! Where did you get the sensor Christmas ornament? Or, did you make it yourself? Just curious, as I'd love to have one!

I bought 2 sensor replicas from The Twister Movie Museum, down in Wakita, OK. They do also double as christmas ornaments, so I was pretty happy with that.

And thanks! Unfortunately my dad's health is declining so my family, girlfriend, and especially me are happy I have this project to keep me occupied.

Aiming for a finish date of April 15th, as I'm going to Iowa to do some photoshoots/maybe refilming the Hailstone Hill sequence.

Whoops, didn't know there was an edit time limit. My bad. Anyways, here's pictures! Barrel is "done" for now, just need to find/fabricate mounting brackets, fabricate the wheel bases/boxes, and everything else will come into place as it comes.

773_zpshjrstkuq.jpeg
20150307_184522_zpsyedvaa6q.jpg
20150307_165253_zps1rampmvs.jpg
20150306_184426_zpskn82j59d.jpg
20150306_184405_zpszco8wfow.jpg
20150306_184343_zps7kskgisu.jpg

I gotta say, that's really cool. I was already obsessed with weather by the time Twister came out, and I've always loved that body style Dodge Ram (really the only Rams that I like). My old 350 Suburban only got 14-16 on the highway most days (worse in winter, better in summer), so I can sympathize with the poor fuel mileage. It wasn't till GM came out with the Vortec 350 that mileage went much past that, so you're not much worse than most V8 trucks of that era.

I'll try my best to be there in September. I'll probably be one of the few driving an "import" 1/2 ton pickup (although one of the few trucks built in the US anymore).

So boy what a month. My dad passed away after fighting cancer for almost a year on the 9th, and then someone broke into my house and stole over $20,000 worth of stuff.

But in better news... I have the red lights, a solution to getting the siren, the light mounts are being made, now I just have to buy two anemometers and something to play the role of UV detectors, make the pipe mounts, satellite dish and box, various electrical boxes and wires, and she'll be done.
4cd9c4f593004ba51ce8523ffdc3df3f.jpg

d5d1970fafa3335591ef451c5a8bc0eb.jpg

ab480b58aaf7ce0f8c0091c8be691402.jpg

Oh man, so sorry to hear about your dad. Words on a internet forum seem pretty hollow, but I really feel for you. The break-in is just insult to injury.

But the truck is really coming along. It looks spot on!

Sorry to hear about your dad. I've had some close calls with my dad, so I can somewhat understand.

Nice work on the truck though. Glad to see the project moving along.

Looks great! Another 'Twister-head' here! Ive often wanted to write some prequel/sequel fan fiction. I've heard rumors that Bill Paxton has wanted to do a sequel film for a while. I don't know if Helen Hunt has expressed any interest. Maybe the 20th anniversary party will spark something...

I know Bill Paxton has talked about wanting to do Twister II, but it has to go through Spielberg and a bunch of other red tape.

And thanks for the kind words- it's been a rough month but I'll make it. Very excited to get this project done. I've been getting a LOT of reactions to it when I'm driving it around. Makes my day, haha.

Very excited to take this to the 20th anniversary party, to refilm some stuff later this year/next year, and to take it to the Hailstone Hill filming area in a week :D

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad as well as your house being broken into.

The truck looks great, and awesome job on replicating Dorothy.

So I've decided that I'm going to turn Dorothy V into an actual working instrument (or the best I can). Going to have actual working anemometers, UV detectors, lightning detectors, whatever else I may be able to put on and have it look good. Going to wire it all up to a mobile weather station or something along those lines inside the truck cab. Might not happen soon but it's something I just realized yesterday.

Long time since an update! I somehow got IP banned for some reason a while back somehow? Dunno how that happened, but I'm back.

Lots of stuff have happened since I last posted - the Wakita trip, the movie car group I joined/helped bring together, tons of stuff.

The Wakita trip was amazing - met a TON of people, made a lot of people's days, made new friends and connections, and had the time of my life. I couldn't make it for the one that happened this month, as the truck's engine was kaboomified.

The movie car group formed last year in September - we've since gained more members and have done quite a few car shows together. If anyone is in the Hutchison, Kansas area June 11-12th, all of us will be there for the Smallville Comic-con.

The truck's V10 called it quits last month - blew itself up at 266,000 miles. I have a used V10 with 87,000 miles that I'm having freshened up and swapping them. The Paxtonmobile will live for quite a while longer.

And now... pictures!

12047137_10208007309007465_989951507632950060_n.jpgLeader of the Parade.jpg

12027604_10156058226150285_9096902071259135151_n.jpg
12072642_10156074717115285_251561015322025039_n.jpg
11987186_887831897960463_5599419746054932159_n.jpg
12019801_891770544233265_721609264037616985_n.jpg

Long time since an update! I somehow got IP banned for some reason a while back somehow? Dunno how that happened, but I'm back.

Lots of stuff have happened since I last posted - the Wakita trip, the movie car group I joined/helped bring together, tons of stuff.

The Wakita trip was amazing - met a TON of people, made a lot of people's days, made new friends and connections, and had the time of my life. I couldn't make it for the one that happened this month, as the truck's engine was kaboomified.

The movie car group formed last year in September - we've since gained more members and have done quite a few car shows together. If anyone is in the Hutchison, Kansas area June 11-12th, all of us will be there for the Smallville Comic-con.

The truck's V10 called it quits last month - blew itself up at 266,000 miles. I have a used V10 with 87,000 miles that I'm having freshened up and swapping them. The Paxtonmobile will live for quite a while longer.

And now... pictures!

View attachment 13741View attachment 13742

View attachment 13743
View attachment 13744
View attachment 13745
View attachment 13746

The family truckster is there? Man I missed out!

Clark Griswald and Bill "The Extreme" in the same place...

Back