MTS files and Mac

Hi all
I'm having some issues with the MTS files coming from my sony hdr cx116E and the compatibility with Imovie (Mac).

Usually when I'm not at home, I transfer my MTS videos in my mini-pc and then I export them in my MAC via a usb key. Too bad there's no way to read those damned MTS files on my MAC; I downloaded a MTS file converter called "Im too video converter" but it converts the MTS files in HD-Mp4 files with a bad quality.

Any Mac user knows what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into that problem too. It is odd because I can playback .MTS files on my Ubuntu and I believe I have on Windows as well. I'm assuming Apple really wants people to use their MP4 file format.

Intel vs Power PC processor

Andrea, I do not know if this helpful but will share my experience. I have a Sony HDR-XR550. I was not able to import videos using iMovie on my G5 Mac with the old Power PC processor. I am however successful when importing to iMovie on my newer Macbook Pro equiped with an Intel processor. I don't know why processor type makes a difference but apparently it does.

Andrea, I do not know if this helpful but will share my experience. I have a Sony HDR-XR550. I was not able to import videos using iMovie on my G5 Mac with the old Power PC processor. I am however successful when importing to iMovie on my newer Macbook Pro equiped with an Intel processor. I don't know why processor type makes a difference but apparently it does.

Sure, Stephen, infact I can import MTS file in imovie directly from my sony.

The problems come when I try to import to my Mac the MTS files coming from my mini pc (that often I use like a big storage device) with an USB key.
Basically the Mac isn't able to read those file MTS that comes from the minipc.

Back