Mount Washington Observatory - 231mph

B Ozanne

EF5
April 12th is the anniversary of the big wind recorded on the summit of Mount Washington...231 mph.

The non-profit member supported Observatory is in the middle of a capital raising campaign. If they raise $10,000 by the end of the month it will be matched by a generous donor. Please check out the link below:

http://www.mountwashington.org/challenge/

Sorry, I had nothing to do with the ridiculous graphics.

My first thought was that it's disappointing that the donor is putting strings on it like that, but certainly it is better than nothing. I wish them luck with their drive... MWO is really a unique part of Americana.

Do they have a big fence there, to keep you guy's on the mountain when the winds get over 100MPH? LOL

I'm sorry, but you wouldn't catch me on the summit of a mountain in 200MPH winds, let alone venturing outside - I am quite afraid of heights, and the thought of being blow off the mountain really does cross my mind :lol:

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
My first thought was that it's disappointing that the donor is putting strings on it like that, but certainly it is better than nothing. I wish them luck with their drive... MWO is really a unique part of Americana.

He may donate anyway, regardless of the cap - But by him putting it this way, it makes people want to donate more...

Sorry, I didn't state that correctly. The money will be matched up to $10,000.

The highest wind I have seen up there this winter was 133mph. I was outside de-icing the tower in a 131 mph gust. Those aren't estimates or guesses or measurements from a kestrel or Davis system. That's the real deal.

I have an incomplete photo journal from this winter at www.easternlight.net

Click on Journals then Mount Washington.

Back