Most Influential & Distinguished Storm Chasers

Without a doubt the two most influential people for me would be Tim Marshall and David Hoadley, mostly due to their commitment to excellence in the early days of this hobby and eager readiness to impart their experience and knowledge to others, especially though written materials.

There's many other folks I could name as well, many of whom frequent this board but I must make special mention of Charles Doswell, Rodger Edwards and Tim Vasquez for their various endeavours, without whom I wouldn't be able to enjoy this hobby as much as I do.

I would have to agree with everyone, Charles Doswell, Rodger Edwards, Warren Faidley, Gene Moore, Jon Davies...etc. Some of the best.

One other person I would add is Jim Reed. He has not chased quite as long as the other guys but has done alot with chasing not only Super cells, but also hurricanes.

Like Warren I also remember back in the mid 80s running into guys like Doswell, Moore, and Hoadley at amarillos NWS and being in awe. I was a noob back in 85 but these guys took the time to talk to me and let me actually watch them and the local mets talk about that days target. The guys that have chased for 20+ years before tv specials and pre-twister are the kind of guys I think of when I think of legends.

Even Warren is in that category (yes warren I am actually being nice...lol). He and I chased together for a number of years and we have had our differences about chase styles but I still respect what he has done. he brought images and video to the masses with the help of TWC like nobody else had done up to that time. His lightning photos are incredible. Now ofcourse with tv specials and the internet most chasers are able to share their catches. Man I wish I could take pics like Warrens lightning and Hollingshead's supercells.

Also Tim Samaras with what he has accomplished the past few years is incredible.

There are too many to name but anybody that has chased for 2 decades or more are deserving of praise.

I really did not have any influences in my early years, other than an unrealistic ideal of chasing – due to the movie Twister and the local OKC media mania / hype. I really didn’t look up to any one person in the chase community simply because I didn’t really know anyone.

As far as now-a-days, I still really do not have any influences. Yet I still respect many of the pioneers of storm chasing for their part in the hobby.

There is one person however whom I must give a lot of credit, and he is my friend and chase partner - Mr. Shane Adams. He has a career full of successful chases and with a majority of them using nothing but the knowledge and instincts - just like to good old days of chasing - in which he has developed over the past decade. It is those instincts that impress and at times amaze me about his style of chasing. He has natural eye and keen awareness of the storm environment while in the field without using any high-tech equipment for data, other than perhaps his scanner. That is something you don’t find in many post “Twister” chasers these days, including myself. Matter of fact when we started chasing together in 2004, I actually had a hard time getting him sold on using wifi. He just didn’t really care for it and in all reality he didn’t / doesn’t really need it.

Arguably, to many, Shane is taken as a barbarically filthy mouth guy who has his own opinions and doesn’t really give a crap of what others may think of him, and again I give credit where credit is due. Regardless he deserves much credit for his chasing career and IMO is up there even with the veterans (or Distinguished in this case) of chasing. He knows how to chase and I give him much respect for that.

EDIT: One more person I would like to add is Rob Satkus. Although I have not known Rob very long, I have had the honor (and trust lol) to convert his early / mid career VHS chases tapes to DVD and all I can say is OH MY GOD. This is hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of great footage from the mid nineties. That’s only 1994-1996. I still have another decade to covert. Man Rob I should have charged you $50 an hour, I’d be rich!

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Mickey, I didn't know a whole lot of chasers, but chasers I look up to and respect, in no particular order...Amos Magliocco, Shane Adams, Eric Nguyen, Jon Davies, Gene Moore, Mike Hollingshead, Greg Stumpf. I used to read their thoughts and opinions on things, religiously.

Up until now I've stayed away from this thread because it reminds me of a popularity contest. But seeing it again, I think rather than just posting who's cool, it is good to give credit where credit is due, especially to those people who have tempered and influenced MY OWN growth in chasing and storm forecasting. It's hard to picture where that would be without the high standards of Charles Doswell, the early visions of David Hoadley that appear in the earliest Stormtrack issues, the contributions to storm forecasting of Rich Thompson and Roger Edwards, the intellectual generosity of Tim Marshall, the sheer passion of Jim Leonard and Roger Jensen, the flair for research by Jon Davies, and so forth. I also have to give credit to Gene Rhoden, a peer who started a little earlier than me; we both grew up in Dallas and were immersed in north Texas chasing in the 1980s. My personal favorite would have to be Alan Moller because we both share strong interests in the forecast perspectives and in some of the philosophical aspects.

As far as who has contributed the most to storm chasing itself, I don't feel qualified to answer for that as so many people have contributed in many different ways. I can only mention those who influenced me personally.

Tim

I think also I should mention who has been an influence to me as a chaser is Mike Hollingshead.

Yes, Mike is a relatively newer chaser. But the photography and video that Mr. Hollingshead has developed in the 10 years or so he has been chasing definately puts him in the class of "veteran chaser" - and few would argue that his photography is no less than benchmark - the standard to judge against.

Mike's work has been seen and viewed worldwide, I am certain, millions of times. I have often wished that I could obtain photography that is close to his standard, and maybe someday that will be the case. I have no doubt that Mike Hollingshead will continue to be one of the most influential chasers in today's generation, as judged by the many awestruck fans in his YouTube comments, and by chasers who continually are amazed at his chasing success in both statistics and photojournalistic quality. Hollingshead to me is one of the most influential chasers to exist - despite his relative newness on the chasing scene.

Wow, so many people come to mind.
Tim Marshall with his passion and enthusiasm for forecasting and chasing as well as the aftermath of the storms.
David Hoadley for the pioneering of our hobby. He's been out there longer than most of us have even been alive, and can so eloquently express in words and his incredible drawings what we experience.
Jim Leonard with his passion for all rotating things as well as his skill and knowledge in tropical forecasting.
Tim Samaras for his incredible discoveries. The man is a genius and his findings will revolutionize the way we look at tornadoes and lightning.
Roger Hill for his never-ending passion for the chase. Exactly how DOES he find all the tornadoes?
Mike Hollingshead for his awesome photography. He brings back not only the majesty of the storms but the simple beauty of the Plains as well.
Jon Davies for his research in cold-core tornadoes. He gives us ways of finding things to do in the "off season".

I'm always impressed with the chasers that were able to be so successful back before all the technology came along where almost anyone can now track a storm with a laptop, cell phone and GPS, etc.

In the 80s, I became familiar with Bluestein, Faidley, Marshall and a few others.

Some of the modern day chasers that demonstrate excellence in their knowledge of weather, photography, forecasting, etc. are obviously Hollingshead, Snyder, and so many others (forgive me if your name wasn't listed).

At the end of the day, my two biggest influences that sparked my extreme interest in chasing were Faidley and Marshall. Today, we have so many good ones, it's almost impossible to list. :)

Wow, so many people come to mind.
Tim Marshall with his passion and enthusiasm for forecasting and chasing as well as the aftermath of the storms.
David Hoadley for the pioneering of our hobby. He's been out there longer than most of us have even been alive, and can so eloquently express in words and his incredible drawings what we experience.
Jim Leonard with his passion for all rotating things as well as his skill and knowledge in tropical forecasting.
Tim Samaras for his incredible discoveries. The man is a genius and his findings will revolutionize the way we look at tornadoes and lightning.
Roger Hill for his never-ending passion for the chase. Exactly how DOES he find all the tornadoes?
Mike Hollingshead for his awesome photography. He brings back not only the majesty of the storms but the simple beauty of the Plains as well.
Jon Davies for his research in cold-core tornadoes. He gives us ways of finding things to do in the "off season".

Wow, my response would be exactly as same as yours...you couldn't have said it any better, Angie!

My only addition would've been W. Faidley. I read his book 'Storm Chaser, In pursuit of untamed skies' back in 1996 when I was only 16 at that time...needless to say that I was 'hooked' after that. I've noticed that you are a member here, Warren, and I thank you for getting me into storm chasing.

And David Hoadley..."And we saw it. The World's most famous storm chase vehicle. The plates read IN-FLOW "(excerpts from 'Storm Chaser'). THAT...is what chasing legends are made of.

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Hoadley at the 2004 and 2007 National Storm Chaser Convention. Needless to say, I felt like I should've done the Waynes World "We're not Worthy" chant and repeatedly bow before him, LOL!

Wow, you can tell that I am looking forward to Spring!

Mike H.

Id have to say everychaser has their own style and own strenghts and faults....it kinda depends on your own chasing style as to whom you like. With that being said id have to say Mike Hollingshead.....His style is alot like I want mine to be....get to the storm.....and bring home amazing pictures....simple but effective.....and just looking at his pics nobody can deny his skill even if you tend to be the "that isnt pure photograpy" group....who cares! They look awesome! He not only captures the intensity and raw power of nature but also its somewhat twisted beauty. He is also highly successful in capturing some massive massive storms. It is luck skill having the time as well as the patience. He doesnt take himself too seriously and I have never really heard any personal remarks from him about other chasers ideas and practices.
He has made me a much better chaser and photographer from jsut a few friendly emails......keep it up Mike.

Do I have a man crush? :p

Jeff Piotrowski The man has a nose for tornadoes, period. His knack for always being on the best storms has always amazed me. And for the success he's had, he is one of the most down-to-earth people I've ever met. Would give you the shirt off his back.

Tim Marshall As a huge fan of keeping statistics and records, Tim has always inspired me to take the time and care to log my chasing experiences. Not to boast, but for posterity. I've always loved how he keeps such detailed accounts of his entire chasing career....a goldmine of knowledge and history, for whatever institution or individual ends up with it. I like to think of Tim as an old man someday, sitting around with tons and tons of video, images, and text to choose from when he wants to relive the past glory...something I think a lot of chasers will miss out on and perhaps regret, by not keeping detailed accounts of their chase happenings.

Gene Moore For the pure knowledge and understanding of the forecast and chase, and his willingness to share it. He made a huge impact on me in 2000 when I just happened to bump into him in a small southwest Iowa town, after we both happened to stay at the same motel. I knew virtually nothing of real forecasting, and had been surviving largely on dumb luck and persistence. He asked me what my target was, to which I replied "somewhere between central Nebraska and central Iowa"....feeling like an idiot. Here I was standing next to one of the legends of chasing, and I had no clue what was going on with the weather...but here I was 1000 miles from home out chasing. It was suddenly obvious to him, from my response, I had no clue what I was doing. Instead of shunning me, he simply shook his head, chuckled, and said "Man...if you're gonna do 1000-milers, ya gotta have some data. I've got a computer, I'll show you a few things I use." He showed me a few basic parameters, including some of his personal "bottom line" numbers to watch for...the one that sticks in my mind the most is '30kts @ h5 is doable'.....I think of that piece of advice every time I forecast. He also gave me one of the best compliments I've ever heard, when he said "If you learn how to forecast, you could be dangerous." That one comment lit a fire underneath me to really try and learn to interpret models and understand what their data means.

Jim Leonard The one chaser who has influenced and inspired me the most. The guy that showed the world you could live to chase, the guy who made me believe I could do it too. Jim called me out of the blue back in 2000, and I was totally floored. We'd never really spoken before, besides a few email exchanges. We talked for over an hour, just about chasing storms. At the end of the conversation, he simply said "I've been watching you online and seeing what you say, and I just figured I needed to call you so we could talk about storms." I guess he saw in me the same passion he had. I was (and still am) so floored that this guy, a legend of his game, would give that kind of time to a nobody. That phone call is one of my most treasured chase-related memories. But it gets even better. A few months later, in the early part of the 2001 season, Jim came to Norman on personal business. He called again, and asked if we could have lunch and talk more about storms. I was speechless, and eagerly accepted his offer. When I walked up to him in the resturant to shake his hand, he smiled and said "THE Shane Adams, we finally meet." Man, you can't imagine the thrill that gives a newbie, being acknowledged by his hero. I was flabbergasted. We had a great conversation over dinner, and I picked his brain and asked every question I'd ever wanted to ask....all of which he answered eagerly and with great detail. It was another moment that I'll treasure forever, and one that inspires me to this day.

So those are my four, the ones who've made the most impact on me as a chaser.

Total agreement Shane...you hit the nail on the head. I would have to say this duplicates my list almost exactly...although I would add David Hoadley, Tim Samaras, and Roger Hill to this expanded list as well. Jeff Piotrowski has come a long, long way as a chaser since I first met up with him near Wellington TX nearly 20 yrs. ago (March 1987), and have chased many miles with him through the years. We've learned a ton from just bouncing ideas of each other, and going over the various scenarios. This goes back to the day when the NGM and LFM were the big dog models...with a strong emphasis on dog !! :cool:

My pre-chasing days, it was Warren Faidley whom I followed religiously. He's one of the few people I spoke of that my parents actually remember and know through me! LOL I've had the chance to run into Warren on a couple of occasions in the field and he's always been polite and fun to chat with.

Once I got into chasing for real, I got grouped up (probably by accident) with an awesome group of people. Two of them, Amos Magliocco and Blake Naftel, accepted me as the wide-eyed, Redskins-fan, bad sense of humor chaser I was and showed me the ropes of actual chasing. Not an easy thing to get in to at the time, but they got me going for sure. In my first big year, I was able to share two of the best days of 2004 with those two (Amos on May 12 and Blake on May 29). Sadly, Blake isn't out much these days and also sadly, Amos is a Cowboys fan, but I have certainly a lot of respect for them and a lot to thank them for in terms of my first years of chasing. When I do get out with either of them, its always a blast and I always make an effort to chase with either of them whenever I can!

And also, I've got to throw a bone to Doug Kiesling. He is certainly not one of the most well liked chasers, but he gave me the shot at shooting video and helped cover some of the expenses of chasing enabling me to get out more. I've put together a lengthy last few years thanks in part to him, so I want to give him a shout as well. We all know how expensive this hobby can get, and while I certainly will never make a living doing it, I at least am able to get out much more than if I were doing this all on my own. As a full-time college student, I never would've been able to afford the tens of thousands of miles of memorable traveling I've done in the last few years if it wasn't for the chance he gave me!

Lastly, I've got to toss a shout to Shane Adams. While I've never chased with him (met him for the first time during my short stint in OKC), I've always enjoyed following his work. Shane was a very passionate person and I feel as if I have that same passion, showing it in a different way. I think he's one of a few people who ever dedicated his life to chasing at some point, much as I have. To me, that's pretty damn cool! And I think its also safe to say we both enjoy the statistical aspect of our chasing careers! LOL

Last edited:
Good day,

Definitely will give a thumbs up to David Hoadley, he's been chasing more than any of us and still alive to tell about it.

Also, I appreciate Jim Leonard's work with typhoons, hurricanes, and ofcourse, tornadoes. Heck, he's been chasing tropical systems in the Atlantic AND Pacific!

Finally, Tim Samaras and his absolutely incredible work in getting in-situ tornado measurements and video.

This list is not limited, there are many chasers who I can also include, too many to list.

Back