Most Influential & Distinguished Storm Chasers

With storm chasing being historically a relatively new activity and by the nature of being storm chasers I think we usually don’t discuss often about who we think of as “greatâ€￾ storm chasers. However, I was wondering which storm chasers do you think have had the most influence on storm chasing and are the most distinguished storm chasers. If you name someone please describe some attributes that would put them in this category and of course no self nominations.

My nomination would certainly be Tim Samaras.

Influential - because of the following reasons:

1. Successfully Designed a successful probe to be placed in front of a tornado.
2. Successfully implemented such probe to create actual readings
3. Recorded the first "live" video of a direct tornado strike using cameras.
4. Veteran chaser who practices ethical and responsible chasing.
5. Well respected chaser who has been on many television programs worldwide including National Geographic specials, and whose video has renowned awe around the world.

I have never personally met Tim, so I am not certain of how "distunguished" he may be, but certainly is in MY opinion one of the most influential chasers in this generation.

Tim, I know you are a member of this board, and this is not to "inflate your ego" ;) It is simply that you to me were the most favorable person to meet the criteria. Go buy yourself a drink. :D

I've talked to Tim in person before on a couple of occasions and I can say he is very friendly and always willing to give you a minute to talk too. One of the first 'well-known' chasers that I've got to meet and definitely got to be one of the smarter ones out there as well with the engineering knowledge he knows...

But, Tim is relatively new when you look at some things... How about we go back even further into the chasing world, the ones who 'started it all' so to say. I know I've ran into a few chasers sites that have some film pictures they have since scanned to put online that were from the 80s, etc... Who was the influention ones before the internet craze of message boards such as stormtrack??

My vote would be for Jim Leonard. He once described himself as a storm maniac; I prefer the term stormchasing legend. Jim's passion for stormchasing and his many appearances/ interviews on tv "way back when" are a major reason I'm such a storm enthusiast today.

David Hoadley, Jim Leonard, Tim Marshall, Chuck Doswell, Eric Rasmussen, Alan Moller, Joel Ewing, Gene Rohden, Howard Bluestein, to name a few. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to chase "amongst" the lucky few back in the late 1980's when you could chase and only run into a few chasers, sometimes none if in a remote area. In fact, it was a big deal to run into the big names of the time. The first time we saw David Hoadley's car in the parking lot of a NWS office, my chase partner Tom Willett and I were almost too nervous to go inside. I have no doubt that David Hoadley's, Tim's and other's contributions to Storm Track, especially in the "PT" (pre-Twister) era laid the foundation and inspirations for a lot of future spotters, chasers and scientists.

Warren

While I second all the names mentioned, I have to put Dave Hoadley on top. It was a big day for me in the early 1980s when I walked into a small WSO in Indiana in hopes of a forecast and walked out with a paper copy of ST. Meeting him in person caused a big impression, and gave me hope that a non-scientist driven primarily by desire could aspire to gain sufficient acumen to encounter tornadoes. Besides his passion for storms, he possesses a renaissance man's array of talents, including art, poetry, prose and the drive to publish it all in a then non-existent genre.

Jim Leonard was also very kind and encouraging, providing me with photos of some of his successes when I met him in Florida around the same time.

Meeting Dr. Fujita was also a knee-rattler, but it's probably not fair to call him a chaser.

I have three names I need to highlight.

Jim Leonard. His passion for storms in unequaled anywhere. He is also willing to share his knowledge with anyone who has a passion for storms. Jim has been chasing since the beginning of time

Chuck Doswell. Numerous articles geared towards education chasers. He is very knowledgeable and shares that knowledge with others.

Al Moller. Another chaser who loves to share his passion for chasing through his photography of not only storms, but scenes throughout the plains. He also shares his knowledge with others who will listen.

Having only chased since 1999, and given that I have not spent any time researching the history of chasing, I am not qualified to compile a complete list. I do know of a few names that haven't yet been mentioned, and they jump out in my mind: Roger Edwards, Tim Vasquez, Roger Hill, and Warren Faidley.

Forgive me for omitting others who are equally worthy. Perhaps I will edit this later when their names also pop into my head.

Tim Marshall, Tim Vasquez, Chuck Doswell, Warren Faidley, Al Moller, Erik Rassmussen (SP?), Howard Bluestein, and Jim Leonard are just a few that pops out.

Beside myself, joke, Gene Moore probably influenced me the most as a storm chaser. Gene Moore seems to have a passion for chasing storms that borders insanity, which I feel is closer to the level of my passion for chasing storms. He also, doesn't seem to be trying to have a 'measuring' problem that drives some other insanly passionate storm chasers.

Howard Bluestein influenced more of the meteorological part of my life instead of the chasing side. He seemed to put his dedication to science above chasing storms, which is very respectable.

It somewhat bothers me that no one has mentioned Jon Davies, not saying he is "The Best" per say, just thought his name should be mentioned. His reasearch on Cold Core and Non-Mesocylclone Tornadoes has been instrumental to all of our learning I think.

I have to say that my number one chaser is David Hoadley. I had the honor of showing him around the National Weather Center earlier this year, and all I can say is he is one nice guy. He did not want to disturb anyone, he was being as polite to people as could be. And just by him starting stormtrack he has been able to influence a generation of up chasers with positive ethics.

I've got a ton of respect for veteran chaser Gene Moore...I too was just wowed by Gene when I first met him many years ago and following his strong passion for storms and a great storm chasing career. It is too darn difficult to really pick the chasing "king" though. Just so many great people chasing storms and each brings their own styles and personalities to the chaser community. Some are very quiet and reserved while some bring a huge spark to chasing. The reality of chasing though is not how other chasers affect you... but how you affect other chasers and help support and grow the educated and passionate chaser community.

The first one to come to mind is Warren Faidley. Before I could chase, I picked up "Storm Chaser: In pursuit of Untamed Skies" and it quickly became my favorite read. After being hooked to the internet in the late 90's, I learned about other chases (and wx-nuts) like Tim Vasquez, Tim Marshall, Chuck Doswell, and David Hoadley.

Those are my five...

Back