Most important piece of equipment on a chase

For me I will say a cell phone, a nowcaster and a map. I don't have all the cool gadgets to rely on when I am out chasing. Once I am at my target area it is important for me to be able to contact someone for updates and changes. After that it is just instinct, knowledge and sometimes luck that put me on storms. While it would be nice to have all the electronic assistance while chasing, it is just not in my cards right now. So until the deck is shuffled, the items I mentioned above are the most important to me.

Umm.....I would have to say Mobile RAD and Portable GOES SAT are very, very good, handy tools when chasing storms. Also, a car I would think would be a good tool as well...you don't want to end up chasing storms on a Bike, now do you?

Camera for PROOF , Cell Phone, Vehicle and SPARE TIRE w/ Jack Also!!!!!

And your good to go" oh yeah and plenty of Charged Batteries/ Maps :D

Umm.....I would have to say Mobile RAD and Portable GOES SAT are very, very good, handy tools when chasing storms. Also, a car I would think would be a good tool as well...you don't want to end up chasing storms on a Bike, now do you?

Are they selling portable GOES satellites on eBay now? I'm confused :?

Are they selling portable GOES satellites on eBay now? I'm confused :?

I mean GOES SAT websites....

The last three posts were great, made me laugh. Laughter is good and healthy.

I like to have My cameras/ both still and video. Some times it hard to do both depending on the situation. A loptop for GPS maping, back up maps such as MAPS OF "STATE". Possible a topo map. If you have XM or this new Sirrius unit that supposed to be coming out. Though Some times you may find your self looking more at the computer than the storm. I had a problem with this the first half last season and i tried to ween my self a bit more to rely on past experirnce and my eyes. You dont really need a radar to tell you what way a storm is going but it does help. Its good to have a chase partner to share costs and one can pay attention to the road more and the other can keep an eye on the sky.

If you are sparse on the tech part, look into HAM radio, National Weather Service radio though some parts on the CAP Rock do not have recption oddly. If your not a Ham operator look into a scanner though if mobile bewares many states have diffrent laws about scanners. Some states it illegal. I would also say the financial ability to chase. Start saving post season as soon as possible.

Topography Maps, are essential I believe. Lots of weather/storms can be highly affected by earths topography, so it's important to know it around you.

I wasnt really looking at that aspect of topo in respect to how it affects the storm as much as i was to how you chase the storm. Some topo maps will give you locations of Trees, but mainly hills, lakes, rivers, creeks. It's good to know where they are in order for better veiwing of a storm and to know if it will cause you trouble, and routes to avoid theses topographic features if at all possbile. Eastern OK not to easy to avoid tress and hills/mountains.

I can't pick one so I will just have to pick 5

1) A camra <I will never go on a chase without my 35mm nikkon F5!

2) An Automated External Defribulator... just in case the next CG decides to get you!

3) Your chase partner< I mean who else is going to revive you if you get electrocuted> besides it's great to have friends around for those long drives to and from the target area.

4) your pets if you've got any... Cats live for the chase you know :lol:

5) Food... we all get tired of soggy hamburgers and microwave burritos

Back