I need to get a mifi and am wondering who all is using what for mobile data. I want to go the Verizon prepaid data route--for me, a no-brainer. Verizon offers a couple units for around $200. I'd like to spend less money if possible, but whatever I get has got to actually work well out in the Plains. Your input appreciated.

In the same boat. I activate my Verizon USB760 modem each spring, but last week it was so confusing for Verizon phone reps that I gave up. A mifi unit makes more sense and the new units get rave reviews. Problem is that purchasing one without a contract is likely an expensive proposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've used the 6620L on Verizon for the past two seasons. It's been nearly flawless. You should be able to find used units for $50-75 on eBay, which makes it a no-brainer for any chaser who doesn't have Verizon cell service for their smartphone.

I'd recommend signing up for month-to-month service, rather than prepaid, as I believe some roaming towers are unavailable if you use the latter. If you're bringing your own device, there won't be a contract; the only downside is the $35 activation fee.

Hey Bob, long time no see! I don't have firsthand experience with these hotspots but I've heard the Netgear AC791L is the cat's meow and very reliable. If interested, you can search for it on Google, or check out some basic specs here on the RVMI Resource Center.

I'm curious...is using your phone's hotspot not a good idea? I have been using mine while I'm out and I've never had an issue.
I would go as far as saying that phone hotspots are preferable over other devices, unless you want to use an external antenna. Anecdotally, phones seem to handle tower hand-offs more smoothly and intelligently than any USB modems or jetpack hotspots I've used over the years.

In the same boat. I activate my Verizon USB760 modem each spring, but last week it was so confusing for Verizon phone reps that I gave up. A mifi unit makes more sense and the new units get rave reviews. Problem is that purchasing one without a contract is likely an expensive proposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, a contract is a non-starter for me. I only need data when I need it, not day after day all twelve months of the year. In 2015 I bought a little whizbang from Walmart for fifty bucks, plus another fifty for 5 gigs of Verizon data. Worked like a charm for a brief jaunt to Kansas, then started dropping signal once I got back to Michigan. I see the new units are getting good reviews, but they're a lot pricier. Whatever I get, I'll buy it outright.

I seem to have issues every spring activating my mifi with Verizon. This year was the worst. When I went online, I was unable to checkout, as it kept reloading the same screen. Then when I called, they quote me a different (higher) price than what was online. Whatever, I paid it anyway, but then my 1 GB of data lasted all of 2 chases. Really?? You can't tell me I used 1 GB of data downloading tiny radar files! I'm considering a switch to AT&T because I've become so frustrated with Verizon over the years. I've also had issues with my mifi turning off by itself, and very spotty data. Might be a pre-paid thing, though, as I've read before that you don't get the same coverage on pre-paid. I'm almost just as well off using my Sprint phone and Radarscope, which is what I did for the last 2 chases this past weekend.

Thanks, all of you, for your input. Sounds like there are some issues with Verizon that might outweigh the selling point of their coverage. I'd hate to fly by just my mobile phone and PYKL3/Radarscope--still much prefer GR3--but if VZ is playing games...well, I'll see for myself and then play it by ear.

Then when I called, they quote me a different (higher) price than what was online. Whatever, I paid it anyway, but then my 1 GB of data lasted all of 2 chases. Really?? You can't tell me I used 1 GB of data downloading tiny radar files!
The advent of SAILS on the 88Ds has a downside: significantly higher bandwidth for every hour you have GRLevel3 open, compared to before. I was floored at how quickly I went through my data last season. I normally get the 4 GB package for my hotspot and don't have any problem staying under that, even during an active May. But last year, I'd be up to that after 4-5 chases, easily. I'm not aware of any option in the software to throttle back the frequency of looking for new updates, so the only way to mitigate this may be simply to leave GR3 closed until it's really needed on a given day, and also to close it as soon as you're done actively chasing.

Personally having used RadarScope for a few years, and recently tried the trial version of GR3, I prefer RadarScope. What exactly is the benefit of using GR3 over RadarScope? For a difference of $70 it better be more than range rings and melting layer...am I missing something?

The advent of SAILS on the 88Ds has a downside: significantly higher bandwidth for every hour you have GRLevel3 open, compared to before. I was floored at how quickly I went through my data last season. I normally get the 4 GB package for my hotspot and don't have any problem staying under that, even during an active May. But last year, I'd be up to that after 4-5 chases, easily. I'm not aware of any option in the software to throttle back the frequency of looking for new updates, so the only way to mitigate this may be simply to leave GR3 closed until it's really needed on a given day, and also to close it as soon as you're done actively chasing.

Good to know. I was going to ask how much data you got, so thanks for mentioning that as well. I remember the days when I got 250 MB of data and could get 2 chases out of that! I guess I'll have to use my phone for as much as I can since that is unlimited.

The advent of SAILS on the 88Ds has a downside: significantly higher bandwidth for every hour you have GRLevel3 open, compared to before.

So this is why I chewed through AT&T data at a record pace week before last! I thought my laptop was downloading every windows update in history, though I found no evidence of it. I could not understand the sudden data avalanche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back