Mobil Tv antenna

Dear Chasers

Well it just seems that I'm full of questions OK this might have already been covered but I have a portable 9"ch tv and I'm possibly looking forward to using it maybe this season. So what antenna mount would be best to use on this ?????? and does the digital transition affect this ?????? please some info on this ??????????. And chasers feel free to discuss weather or not you use a TV out in the feild and what do you use ????????. Thanks.

"Keeping you 4-Warned"

Shawn C.

"MyFOXDFW.com"

Fox 4-Warn

:):)StormTracker

Unless your TV has an ATSC tuner in it, it will not work after the digital transition unless you use a digital converter box. I don't know very many chasers that use a TV in the field anymore. Most chases take place in the middle of nowhere where TV reception is pretty poor. You're better off getting a mobile internet connection, learning to interpret radar, and getting someway to receive NWR to get your warnings and statements.

Yeah I have all of the chaser gear or almost all of it I just thought I would ask I appreciate it still it would be a nice tool to have if you wanted to use it.

"MyFoxDFW.com"

"Keeping you 4-Warned"

Shawn C.

Fox 4-Warn StormTracker

I recently went through the same ordeal. I tried many types of antennas but none worked very well. Here in the metroplex I was able to get some of the digital signals with some antennas while other stations just wouldn't have a strong enough signal.
Finally I tried a dual band (2 meter/ 440) ham antenna w/ a mag mount that I had lying around. It looks like a cell phone antenna. Using an adapter to change from the antenna PL259 Uhf end to a cable tv connection allowed me to plug into the digital converter box or to a laptop card.
I tested this setup in the house, vehicle and even the garage. Everything comes in strong.
Hope this solution will work for you too.

Here's what I use: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062075

It's a bit ungainly for some folks I guess (I know that David Drummond uses an RCA branded version of this). I modified the mounting configuration to make it a bit stronger. In my case I only mount the antenna on longer chase trips.. I have it mounted on a piece of plexiglas that gets bolted to the luggage rack.

I don't watch the TV while driving around.. on tests I found the digital reception was pretty crappy while mobile. I tend to use it only while parked (I also generally sleep in my vehicle too on chase trips so this is a source of entertainment in my case). Performance while parked is very good, the unit includes a built in amplifier (needs 12v). The other option I used to use was a mobile version of "bunny ears" that clipped to the luggage rack.. didn't work very well in my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Niljon Super-M Mobile antenna: http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=004

It has a unique wideband design, but it sure stands out!

1326.jpeg

Why not get a slingbox and you can watch your home tv from anywhere ?

Ok Chasers

Please keep the ideas coming on this one I would appreciate it alot Thanks.

"Keeping You 4-Warned"

"MyFoxDFW.com"

Shawn C.

Fox 4-Warn StormTracker

I have a analog and digital tv tuner that plugs directly into my usb port... that reminds me I may have not installed the software since the last time I cleared out the laptop. Anyhow, yes not very helpful. I once was able to pick up some golf program while I was waiting around... I think it would be best for entertainment but that's about it.

Back