Mid to Upper 90's in Texas

US temperatures 9pm

still in the mid-70s in TX....

20060302_060022.gif

www.weather.us

The fires here in Stephens Co. OK have been extremely hard on all resources involved. The south side of Duncan has been on fire most all day and is still burning south. Velma, Loco and Bray are still fighting fires.
The losses involve many family dwellings, outbuildings and vehicles. I know of at least two volunteer fire department vehicles that were destroyed due to the fires and one blown engine was reported. The losses continue with blown out tires from the grass rigs having to go through fences and rough terrain, mechanical failures, pump failures, etc..
These problems are compounded because they were suffered by volunteer fire departments which receive about $2500-$3500 per year to fight fires and maintain equipment.
Many volunteers are purchasing fuel for their fire rigs out of their own pocket. Surely a hard year so far!

OUN has become the epicenter of a new wasteland and we will never see significant rain again. Squall lines will continue to break apart to avoid Norman and all we will see are the grey undersides of anvils and a vague rise in RH as the lines pass. When Lake Thunderbird dries up, along with all other area lakes and rivers, there will be a mass exodus as in the dustbowl times. Places east of a New Orleans-Little Rock-St. Louis line will be forced to set up refugee camps and shanty towns for the Southern Plains evacuees. Agave cactii will become the predominant flora across central and western Oklahoma, and all deciduous trees west of the Arkansas state line will wither and die......or be consumed by the next raging wildfire.

In a few decades time, tourist flights will be offered leaving from Memphis (the first habitable large city you come to going east on I-40) to fly over the state formerly known as Oklahoma, and participants will be awarded an opportunity to view the ghost-city which stands where Oklahoma City used to before the Great Fire of 2007. The only visible signs of life will be small herds of wild camels which moved into the area after the humans moved out and found it quite to their liking. A few humans, clad in nomad-style clothing and with their faces entirely covered but for eye slits to protect from the perpetual blowing dust will herd these animals around......in their endless quest for the last of the semi-dried-up watering holes.

Fires continue to burn in several areas here in Stephens Co. along with new ones that have started up.
We are without electricity and running on battery backup power since 6:00am.
Police do have a suspect in custody that allegedly started on of the fires here.
Two Rush Springs firefighters were injured yesterday, one has been released today while one is at a burn center in Oklahoma City.
Gonna be a long day!

Fires continue to burn in several areas here in Stephens Co. along with new ones that have started up.
We are without electricity and running on battery backup power since 6:00am.
Police do have a suspect in custody that allegedly started on of the fires here.
Two Rush Springs firefighters were injured yesterday, one has been released today while one is at a burn center in Oklahoma City.
Gonna be a long day!

I tried calling you last night but could not get thru... Glad to hear you are alright Bill. The local news broke in several times keeping everyone up to date on the fires aroudn the state. Bad stuff! Glad you and the family are ok.

Mick

I tried calling you last night but could not get thru... Glad to hear you are alright Bill. The local news broke in several times keeping everyone up to date on the fires aroudn the state. Bad stuff! Glad you and the family are ok.

Mick

Yeah, we are fine. The fire missed us by about three miles but the electrical and telephone infrastructure has taken some damage.
I will be glad when we get some rain to help stop the fires.

Back