• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Mid-1990s tornado event?

Hi everyone -

I seem to remember a video from somewhere in the mid-1990s, I believe, of a farmer (possibly in Ohio?) witnessing five full-fledged tornadoes at once. I remember him shooting the first tornado and then simply panning across the landscape and saying something like, 'there's another one, and another, and another...' while his wife is yelling at him to get into the basement.

Does anyone remember the date/location of this event and is the video still around? I haven't been able to find it anywhere...

Thanks in advance.

Gotta love the old TVC voice over commentary. That voice will be in my mind forever. I'd so wish of the Storms of series got going again, we could use that guy for the voice overs.

Same here...I'll never forget that guys voice. He was perfect for the job. The funny thing about some of those videos is they often tell you more about the comical family dynamics than the storm itself. :D

Love how that lady is panicing, and the guy says "Well go on Dinah, we're alright, we're full grown adults!" HAHA! Priceless!

That is amazing footage.

And all that amazing just fell into the black hole of copyright.

"Lazbuddie, TX La..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

Edit: I think I just found the one with the person yelling to get inside - but it's a little kid, not a woman, so I'm not sure. This really is an amazing video for it's time, gorgeous tornado. The family eventually gets in their car and parallel it down the road. Timestamp says '89 though. http://youtu.be/bxJ8rf_XNYE

And bingo: "From the Gil Lamb Advertising archives, see a collection of three home videos of a tornado north of Muleshoe, Texas, on June 3, 1989. Shows the formation of the funnel and some of the aftermath and destruction of homes along U.S. Highway 70 north of the city of Muleshoe. Video footage shot by Gary Freeman, Engle Gatewood and Larry Rasco." http://gillambadvertisingmuleshoe.com/?p=5013

Lazbuddie is about 14 miles north of Muleshoe so this is probably the tornado you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the footage Melanie mentioned. It was in one of Grazulis's Tornado Video Classics videos, but I don't remember which one. It was an impressive--and humorous--clip, featuring one large tornado and at least two smaller tornadoes--not satellites, as I recall, but associated with independent circulations. Very cool! I remember one of the guys commenting, "Man, there is some bad stuff in them clouds!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have his entire VHS collection, volumes 1-3 plus the fourth plain black wrapper bonus DVD. Watching those old VHS tapes is very interesting because most were shot by non-chasers.

One that still intrigues me is the guy who films a tornado from his front door as it destroys the mobile home across the street and coming directly at him. The video abruptly ends but iirc it looks like the tornado might have ended the filming.

Another fave is the airplane punching through fully condensed waterspouts.

I remember the footage Melanie mentioned. It was in one of Grazulis's Tornado Video Classics videos, but I don't remember which one. It was an impressive--and humorous--clip, featuring one large tornado and at least two smaller tornadoes--not satellites, as I recall, but associated with independent circulations. Very cool! I remember one of the guys commenting, "Man, there is some bad stuff in them clouds!"

Or this gem: "We'uhll be awraht...wur full grawn uhdults!"

One that still intrigues me is the guy who films a tornado from his front door as it destroys the mobile home across the street and coming directly at him. The video abruptly ends but iirc it looks like the tornado might have ended the filming.

I believe that was the Friona, TX tornado of June 2, 1995. About 9 years ago I showed that video to lower school kids at a local school. Great example of what NOT to do when a tornado approaches. He was struck by lightning and then kept filming as buildings were being destroyed around him. The tornado still looked to be in it's early multi-vortex stage during the video. I believe it morphed into a large wedge not long after and struck Friona.

The Lazbuddie TX tornado video was from June 4, 1995 and was featured at about the 58 minus mark into Tornado Video Classics 3. There were at least 6 tornadoes on the ground simultaneously...absolutely amazing!!! This must be a record. Does anybody know of more than 6 being observed at the same time?

My record is four at once during the June 1995 Dimmitt, TX event. (I believe there were actually five at one point). There were 3 landspouts on the ground from the flanking line and a mesocyclone stove pipe tornado with the main storm. I had a blast calling the AMA NWS Office and reporting this event and telling them I had four tornadoes on the ground. It's a good thing they knew I had recently stopped sniffing glue. If I remember right, this was a mid-day event. I learned a good lesson here, ALWAYS include a landspout forecast in your morning outlook, especially when there are old boundaries, steep lapse rates and low LCL's lurking. (I have included a video screen shot from my video of the Demmitt tornado infestation below).

As for Lazbuddie, it was my second biggest chase mistake of all time, only second to Campo. I picked Lazbuddie in the AM and even ate lunch on the side of the road near the "Lazbuddie" highway sign. I should have stayed, especially after the Doors song with the line "the west is the best" came over the radio. However..... $%#@!!! I was fooled by the classic west Texas dryline jump and moved east to pursue a line of crud, only to discover the actual dryline exploded back west. It was impossible to get back west through the line of flooding, big hail storms so I missed the famous "Lazbuddie Carousal Event" as it has since been named. This single event changed the way I chased forever, never forgetting a retreating dryline under the right conditions is insane, especially in Western Texas. I visited the guy who shot the Lazbuddie footage and I have an original copy of his footage, with a release, so I'll post it in the future.

mega-t.png

Back