Mechanics in Norman

I need to get new tires for my car so it doesn't hydroplane (even when parked :shock: ) anymore.

I've decided on the tires I'm going to get (BFGoodrich Traction T/A's), but, I need to find a reputable mechanic to install them. What mechanics have people had good luck with in Norman, OK? I've called Big-O tires, and saw a postive review of them on another site. Any other suggestions?

I get my tires at Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. Good prices, service, and if you need warranty service, they're easy to find and they stand behind their "mechanics" (in some cases, hopefully a safe distance behind.... :wink: ).

Originally posted by David Wolfson
I get my tires at Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. Good prices, service, and if you need warranty service, they're easy to find and they stand behind their \"mechanics\" (in some cases, hopefully a safe distance behind.... :wink: ).

I just arrived at the same conclusion. As much as I hate going to Wal-Mart instead of supporting a local guy, I can get them installed for $308 there. I called 10 other local mechanics, 5 of them carried the tire, and would charge $365-$420. As a student that makes a big difference ($60-$100 could buy a lot of cereal and ramen noodles!).

Thanks for the input.

Noooooooooo! Resist the Wal-Mart temptation!!!

LOL, but seriously.......

The only place I'd go in Norman to have tires replaced is Hibdon Tires on the I-35 service road near the west side Wal-Mart and Krispy Kreme.

Not only did they quote me and give me the cheapest price for tires, but I found their service very agreeable and they are very courteous. And I'm hard to please.

KR

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden
The only place I'd go in Norman to have tires replaced is Hibdon Tires on the I-35 service road near the west side Wal-Mart and Krispy Kreme.KR

I called Hibdon, but, they said it could take 10 days to get the tires. I'm taking a trip back home to MN in less than 10 days, so, it didn't work out.

I really do hate Wal-Mart, but, I as much as I want, I can't argue with the price.

To anyone else interested something asides from tires, I went to Kwik Kar on Main Street for my 30,000 mile service (6,000 miles overdue), and got it all done for $250 - $200 less than the dealer. Their service was quick and honest as well. I'll go there for my next oil change.

Oh well - the Hibdon thing will only work, obviously, if they have your tires in stock! I drive "Econochase 1" (my '92 Mazda Protege) - and so finding tires isn't exactly rocket science.

For oil changes - I'd go to Tuneup Masters on Main - they're the best. They're no frills and don't have a fancy waiting room - but they charge you about $16 for it - and they're experienced. Gene and I have been having our oil changes done there for years and they're good.

Good luck.

KR

For actual car work, I'd reccomend Welch's automotive (small, in the hole shop) near the corner of Main street and Porter. Guy is extremely friendly, cheap, and has fixed problems for myself and several of my friends.

Aaron

I haven't had any major auto work done while in OUN, but most of the time I've gone to Firestone. While I really disliked the Firestones in MN, the OUN one isn't too bad. I have a good "Firestone preferred" card too, which gives me $12 oil changes, and 10% off all services...

WALMART STILL SUCKS...they might leave off or leave loose 1 or more lugnuts (Happened to me)..went back to get a $13 oil change...they stripped the pan plug...($65 dollars to fix..and they did not get the job...) and they blamed chrysler..and the previous mechanic...(which was another walmart....). They suck..if you ar e captive to them because of your travel situation...watch them do the work..and INSPECT before you leave....................

A word of warning...if you ever have to get an engine rebuild done, do NOT use B&K Engines in Oklahoma City! I am among the large number of unsatisfied customers...for an engine rebuild, they quoted me a price of $2000, with a 10-14 days to do the job. Well, the price was $3168, and it took 371 days to get the car back...and it took a call from both the State Attourney Generals office and my District Representatives Office to get it back. And guess what? The car STILL had a valve knocking, and the fuel rail came loose while driving it the day after I got it back. I have seen them on the news channels with the troubleshooters many times since then. Bad news...stay as far away from them as you can.

I will not be going back to Wal-Mart for tire service. They stripped one of the studs (the bolt a lug nut goes on), blamed the manufacturer, and were unable to fix it.

So... this morning I went to Hibdon's and they fixed it for $30. Total cost after everything: $360. I spent 3 hours sitting at Wal Mart and 2 hours waiting at Hibdon's.

I'm considering getting a horse. :roll:

I got a replacement rear wiper blade at the Firestone, and the manager had one of the guys run out and put it on for me. So they get a thumbs from me too.

I thought I was making a joke about buying the ramen while they were stripping the lug nuts. Guess it wasn't so funny :( ! You might try being a squeaky wheel and getting Wal-Mart to pay for Hibdon's wheel stud replacement.

I have no idea where to get horses re-shoed in Norman, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart does that too :roll: .

Originally posted by David Wolfson
I thought I was making a joke about buying the ramen while they were stripping the lug nuts. Guess it wasn't so funny :( !

Actually, I think it is pretty funny... it actually ended up happening. Oh well. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Back